Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your top 3 go to baits right now (bass)

Just curious what everyone is throwing right now. Getting into fall soon, been chilly in the morning but really hot during the day.
    Mine as of right now is 10” big ole monster ribbon tale, whopper plopper and a jig. I’ve tried spinner sits and Crankbaits without much luck lately.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cal9323 View Post
    Just curious what everyone is throwing right now. Getting into fall soon, been chilly in the morning but really hot during the day.
    Mine as of right now is 10” big ole monster ribbon tale, whopper plopper and a jig. I’ve tried spinner sits and Crankbaits without much luck lately.
    Baby Brushawg, usually pumpkin color, Rico top water bait, and as a last resort I'll try crankbaits, various colors and depths. I have noticed the bite has been getting a little bit better now, two weeks ago I caught 2 bass from the Ohio river above Meldhal dam,
    14 1/2" and 14 3/4". May head out again Saturday. Tight Lines.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to throw a 10 inch red shad Zoom worm, but I've also been using a 10 inch Googan worm and like them pretty well. Definitely will have a frog of some sort tied on. Then lastly a crankbait. I'll watch my graph and see where most of the shad is and try to match the depth to a crankbait that will run that deep.
    Likes charley2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I always throw a crank year round. I love top water this time of year. Spook, the plopper, buzzbait, poppers. Catch a HOG this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like
    whopper plopper
    spinnerbait
    square bill crankbait

All three of those are classic fall chasing the shad baits. Although it's not officially fall just yet I am seeing signs of fall patterns already starting to develop. Once we get a good rain that will disperse all the stale water in the mid to shallow water depths it will be game on.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 inch yum dinger whacky style
    Zoom craw watermelon cotton candy
    Lucky kraft pointer jerk bait shell white

Post Thanks / Like
    10.5" zoom 'ol monster super salt plus in junebug or plum, zoom ultravibe speedcraw in electric grape or Googan bandido bug in green pumpkin, 4.5" BPS Stik-o in june bug or Watermelon red on a vmc tokyo rig

Post Thanks / Like

What ever bait you cast make sure it's clean gasoline free.

Wash your hands after filling up the boat and truck's gas tanks. The smell of gasoline or other contaminates can turn the fish off and make them refuse to bite.

A clean bait is a good bait.

I fish cranks and worms and jigs for bass. Sometimes in the fall of the year I will go with floating frog baits or jitterbugs and catch some night big LM bass with these top water baits early in the morning when the sun is still low in the sky and shinning on the water's surface at a low angle. When the sun gets higher in the sky (10 AM) I will fish deeper. Early in the morning during the fall months I fish the back end of coves off the main lake at 5:30 AM or at sunup. Depends on what area (latitude of the Earth) you are fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Berkley 4" Chigger Craw or similar, green pumpkin color
    2. 4-8 ft diving crankbait, small profile (Bomber 5A or similar) in some shad color. I have one tied on right now from Academy (their H2O series) called a C.R.U.L.D
    3. LunkerHunt Kraken Popper...in my opinion, one of the best walking, popper-style baits you can buy, right out of the box. Has a beautiful side-to-side action when twitched on a slack line.

Fish are spread out everywhere from what I've seen & heard, so you have just as good a chance landing one on a big worm on a main lake point as you do twitching that popper in the back of a cove...I've tried a little bit of everything the last few weekends and haven't had too good of luck. Hopefully this cooler weather that's SUPPOSED to be arriving soon will make trips a little more productive. Gonna try it under the lights tonight one last time and see if they're biting any better after dark. I'll report back if I have anything to report!

Post Thanks / Like
    1) recliner
    2) remote
    3) 48" flat screen

But subject to change as the heat wave and drought subside ;-)
    Likes fishincreek, Wormin liked this post