Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp Rough River

One of my co-workers said the asians have made it to Rough River ...can anyone confirm or deny

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is no lock at the dam, Asian Carp cannot get into the lake (by themselves). They would have to have been illegally transported & dumped into the lake.
    Asian Carp are in the rivers/streams below all dams where those rivers/streams empty into the Ohio or Mississippi rivers. I've seen them in the Salt River, right below the spillway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless it floods and the overflow spillway comes in play

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    If there is no lock at the dam, Asian Carp cannot get into the lake (by themselves). They would have to have been illegally transported & dumped into the lake.
    Asian Carp are in the rivers/streams below all dams where those rivers/streams empty into the Ohio or Mississippi rivers. I've seen them in the Salt River, right below the spillway.
    So they cannot get in via the head waters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    No they cannot. The headwaters of Rough River Lake is not directly connected to the Ohio River or any other body of water than contains Asian carp.

I do fear that they eventually will end up in lakes like Barren, Rough, Taylorsville, Nolin, etc from people catching bait at the tailwaters and unknowingly catching little Asian carp and then dumping them in the lake after a day of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    No they cannot. The headwaters of Rough River Lake is not directly connected to the Ohio River or any other body of water than contains Asian carp.

I do fear that they eventually will end up in lakes like Barren, Rough, Taylorsville, Nolin, etc from people catching bait at the tailwaters and unknowingly catching little Asian carp and then dumping them in the lake after a day of fishing.
    Oh man that would be horrible ,,, I have a place at Nolin ...I know they are not in Nolin yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    No .... they'd have to travel up the Green River, then up the Rough River .... and then they'd be stopped by the dams in either case.

The only way they could get to the "head waters" of Rough River Lake is to have been transported and dumped into those waters or any of the creeks/rivers that empty into the river headwaters.

Now, I'm not saying they "aren't" in those waters (or the lake), but IF they are ... they didn't get there by themselves. That's the main reason the KDFWR says to not catch "Shad" in one body of water & transport it to another. The fry of the Asian Carp look a lot like a Shad. (same reasoning for not dumping minnows into the lake, because you really don't know if every minnow in the bucket is what you think it is)

Asian Carp spawn several times a year, but they have to have a certain amount of flowage speed in the waters before the eggs will live long enough to develop into fry.
    Likes charley2 liked this post