Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

lake Cumberland water tempuratures?

Now that it looks like summer has left and we are starting to cool down rapidly. How long will it take o that large body of water to be affected by the lower temps. I have my first weekend of the year where I can go out on the boat the 19th and 20th.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer to that question. However a friend of mine was fishing down there last week and was pulling down rigors at about 40 feet and catching stripers. He said they were thin but of various lengths up to 28 or 30 inches.

According to the water quality report October 4 the water temp was 79.7 from the surface to 40 feet than at 45 feet and drop to 76° however there was very little oxygen indicated below 40 feet.

I haven't been down there in quite a while. I wonder if the Alewives came up to the oxygenated water?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been crappie fishing the past couple of days and the temp has been 75-76 in the mornings in <15' depth. What little I have been on the main lake I didn't pay attention to the temp, but I would assume it's about the same. I think the shorter duration of daylight has helped, but the cool weather coming should pull it down a few degrees more.

I'm as anxious as a kid the night before Christmas wanting the temp drop and the striper and alewives to come up!
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    70-73 today everywhere I fished

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday 10/15 I unloaded at Halcomb's Landing and saw 74 most everywhere on the main lake and 1/2 -2/3 the way up a creek. I did run to the back of a major creek and where the water gets less than 10 ft deep it was 70 in most places and quickly fell to 68 near the head. There was shad everywhere in the upper part of the creek but I did not see or hear any feeds...nor did they want to feed on what I was throwing. Too call the 9.5 hours I spent on the water tough would be an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I'm really just getting into fishing seriously, and only having my Helix since spring, I don't know what "normal" is. Is the amount of bait in Cumberland normal? Right now the heads of the creeks I've been in are absolutely loaded with shad. It is almost annoying when crappie fishing because there is so much bait I can't see much else on side scan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Normal this time of year!! All sizes of threadfins and gizzards will be up there shallow on mud flats.