Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    northern ky.
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    costa series at cumberland

    wonder how they caughtem 2day at cumberland,weigh-in starts at 4pm on flw live cold mornings coming at them. on facebook as well

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kings Mtn. Ky.
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbass57 View Post
    wonder how they caughtem 2day at cumberland,weigh-in starts at 4pm on flw live cold mornings coming at them. on facebook as well
    Most of them weren't 18" anyhow.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    short fish

    How is it fair to let these guys haul short fish all over the lake? I mean I have to catch keepers to put them in the livewell even to take a picture then release. Even if it is MLF rules and they weigh them and release it still isnt release immediatly. Come on Kentucky we used to care more about the fishery than to bow to corporate pressure to pad semi-pro fishermen's stats.
    Vent over thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    northern ky.
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jerkbait1 View Post
    How is it fair to let these guys haul short fish all over the lake? I mean I have to catch keepers to put them in the livewell even to take a picture then release. Even if it is MLF rules and they weigh them and release it still isnt release immediatly. Come on Kentucky we used to care more about the fishery than to bow to corporate pressure to pad semi-pro fishermen's stats.
    Vent over thanks
    DIDNT REALIZE THEY WERE USING UNDER SIZE FISH.sorry for the caps,,, that is just not right.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    northern ky.
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    spots are 12 in an up large m are 15 in an up smallies are 18 an up ,,,,correct?
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Flw statement from last year

    https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2018...-at-cumberland
    Didnt look too hard but looking at the smallies weighed in, most dont appear to be over 18inches. I catch a lot of 16 and 17 inch smallies also, just saying. If the regs have changed since last year I will be glad to retract.
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    2019 regs

    https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...ake-cumberland
    Note: no smallmouth were harmed in the posts above. 😉

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the last couple of years there has been multiple occasions when KDFW allowed tournament anglers to bring in smallmouth at Cumberland that were not 18". If my memory is correct the first time I recall it happening was the 2018 FLW tour event in late march/early April when they allowed 15" SM. KDFW made a statement and said the reason they were doing this was so they could conduct a delayed mortality study and see how it impacts the fishery. At the time of the tournament the water temperatures were upper 50's and low 60's. That is PERFECT water temperature for bass to thrive and be healthy. If you want to check them and see how delayed mortality plays into the mix then do it when its mid to late summer when the water is warm. This is just purely my opinion but KDFW made that statement to make it "sound good"

    Then if my memory was correct there was a huge high school tournament in the spring of 2019 where they were allowed 15" SM. I might be wrong on that one but it seems like I remember it happening. Then about 2-3 weeks ago in the Bradley Roy tournament they allowed 15" SM and just this past week they allowed 15" SM for the FLW Costa event.

    Call me a conspiracy theory freak and say I wear a tin foil hat because I am okay if that's your opinion of what I am about to type but the ONLY reason KDFW allowed 15" SM in the events I spoke of was because of the tourism $ it generated. 2018 FLW Tour had 183 boaters and co-anglers fishing multiple days and in town multiple days before the event. Plus when you add the FLW staff that came to host the event you soon have around 400 people dropping money at gas stations, motels, restaurants tackle stores and etc. If my memory is correct the Bradley Roy high school event had just a tad over 200 boats. 203 if my memory is correct. They have a boat captain and a team of high school kids so that makes 600 people spending $ that weekend. Granted the kids probably did not spend much but I bet the boat captains and parents did. Then you have the recent FLW Costa that had upper 190's in boats and co anglers. They were in town multiple days spending $...heck I ran into one Costa guy from Oklahoma around the first of October and he said he rented a house near Cumberland for the entire month. I bet he dropped some $ in the local economy. Then add the other 400 or so people counting all boaters, non boaters and event staff and $ quickly adds up....see where I went with that. It was a $ deal pure and simple. I bet if a 20 boat club ask for a reduced size limit they would laugh because they are not going to drop enough $ to make a big impact on the economy.

    Now don't think I am against supporting the local economy. I shop at Bass Pro in Bronston. I shop at Lake County Outdoors in Russell Springs. I have had my boat serviced at a Evinrude dealer in Bronston. I live 45 miles from Somerset but I still make the drive for some Sunny's BBQ so I just wanted to be clear that I am not anti local economy. My gripe is smallmouth (as well as all fish) are a great natural resource that need regulation and protection. I am all for that but when you make special regulations for specific large groups for the sake of $ that does not sit well with me...rant over
    Likes Wormin, OutInKy liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    northern ky.
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    In the last couple of years there has been multiple occasions when KDFW allowed tournament anglers to bring in smallmouth at Cumberland that were not 18". If my memory is correct the first time I recall it happening was the 2018 FLW tour event in late march/early April when they allowed 15" SM. KDFW made a statement and said the reason they were doing this was so they could conduct a delayed mortality study and see how it impacts the fishery. At the time of the tournament the water temperatures were upper 50's and low 60's. That is PERFECT water temperature for bass to thrive and be healthy. If you want to check them and see how delayed mortality plays into the mix then do it when its mid to late summer when the water is warm. This is just purely my opinion but KDFW made that statement to make it "sound good"

    Then if my memory was correct there was a huge high school tournament in the spring of 2019 where they were allowed 15" SM. I might be wrong on that one but it seems like I remember it happening. Then about 2-3 weeks ago in the Bradley Roy tournament they allowed 15" SM and just this past week they allowed 15" SM for the FLW Costa event.

    Call me a conspiracy theory freak and say I wear a tin foil hat because I am okay if that's your opinion of what I am about to type but the ONLY reason KDFW allowed 15" SM in the events I spoke of was because of the tourism $ it generated. 2018 FLW Tour had 183 boaters and co-anglers fishing multiple days and in town multiple days before the event. Plus when you add the FLW staff that came to host the event you soon have around 400 people dropping money at gas stations, motels, restaurants tackle stores and etc. If my memory is correct the Bradley Roy high school event had just a tad over 200 boats. 203 if my memory is correct. They have a boat captain and a team of high school kids so that makes 600 people spending $ that weekend. Granted the kids probably did not spend much but I bet the boat captains and parents did. Then you have the recent FLW Costa that had upper 190's in boats and co anglers. They were in town multiple days spending $...heck I ran into one Costa guy from Oklahoma around the first of October and he said he rented a house near Cumberland for the entire month. I bet he dropped some $ in the local economy. Then add the other 400 or so people counting all boaters, non boaters and event staff and $ quickly adds up....see where I went with that. It was a $ deal pure and simple. I bet if a 20 boat club ask for a reduced size limit they would laugh because they are not going to drop enough $ to make a big impact on the economy.

    Now don't think I am against supporting the local economy. I shop at Bass Pro in Bronston. I shop at Lake County Outdoors in Russell Springs. I have had my boat serviced at a Evinrude dealer in Bronston. I live 45 miles from Somerset but I still make the drive for some Sunny's BBQ so I just wanted to be clear that I am not anti local economy. My gripe is smallmouth (as well as all fish) are a great natural resource that need regulation and protection. I am all for that but when you make special regulations for specific large groups for the sake of $ that does not sit well with me...rant over
    AMEN

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kings Mtn. Ky.
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gene

    I couldn't agree more. It was definitely a money thing is all it was.
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Junction City Ky
    Posts
    1,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think what we need to do is when they have there spring call in show on fish related questions we all call in and ask why it is Ok for some and not the rest.
    Likes OutInKy, R19, roughriderbill liked this post

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can maybe see giving the kids tournament a break but the pros ? If the pros can't catch the normal legal size limit then they need to up their game. I'm not a tourney guy but the pros need to follow the same rules everybody else does or in my opinion there's more pros on this site that catch legal smallies on a regular basis
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Randy Haynes FLW Costa Series???
    By caseydrew in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM
  2. Costa's FOR SALE
    By stratosmanky in forum Classifieds for Individuals (FREE)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM
  3. Costa Style
    By FlyLie in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
  4. costa corbina with silver mirror 580 lense
    By tlyonsbasser2 in forum Classifieds for Individuals (FREE)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 12:07 PM
  5. flw series on cumberland?
    By Barry25 in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •