Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Why do people find fishing enjoyable?

Never been a fan of fishing, always found it too boring. So Id like to hear from fishers why do you find fishing interesting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow made an account just to ask, nice. Well if you envision fishing as just taking bait putting it on a hook and casting it out and waiting, yeah it is kind of boring. But there's a lot more to fishing than that, especially if you're going after different types of fish each time you go. Targetting a certain fish and being able to catch that particular fish is fun because you can kind of pat yourself on the back and say "I understand the behavior of this or that fish enough to target and catch specifically them". If you're fishing for food that's also an added bonus to that feel.

A lot of times when I fish in the warmer months, its wading down a creek for bass. Walking that mile or two along/in the water provides me with a lot of sight seeing. You'll see deer, otters sometimes, and the other fish species swimming down at your feet. I learned to fish cover/shaded areas in the hotter months, and more open water in the cooler months. This also provides a feeling of progression, doing generally better every time given the right conditions. Fishing can also provide the same rush as say, gambling. You have the potential to catch nothing or a lot, and when you have a fish at the end of your line its very exhilarating. Using lures rather than baits helps a lot because you're always active while fishing. Casting, working your lure and doing it again till you get a strike, it keeps you busy, and it's fun learning how to work new lures. Of course there's days that you don't do well but that makes the good days that much better.
    Likes Brushawg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glistening Waters

Glistening Waters

Over glistening waters
    Of layered autumn colors
    Turn silver wings to the evening sun
    To fields of harvest gold

Upon glistening waters
    In reflected sunset crimson
    A lone loon appears
    Like a piece of art to hold

Near glistening waters
    A doe comes to drink in the fading light
    As my silver line gently settles upon the water
    It is my serenity I enfold

Roy L. Nave
    Lake Cumberland
    November, 2016
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's multifaceted for me. Its the thrill of the chess match between myself and whatever species I am after. Whether I can outsmart him or not. Its the time in the outdoors and the sights that you see. I often get to see other wildlife while fishing (foxes, eagles, otters, deer, etc...). I watched an eagle catch about an 18 inch gar this year off the top of the water in a river and fly up into a tree with it. Those kinds of things aren't sights that you see at home. Lastly, I enjoy eating some species of fish on occasion and enjoy sharing a big fried crappie feast with family or some striper sandwiches. Its about the experience, not just catching a fish. It is called fishing after all and not catching. If a person gets bored its because they aren't opening their eyes and taking in the things around you.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me fishing is a relaxing experience. It's a way to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday work and family life. It's also a personal challenge and a great way to build self confidence. I'm constantly trying new tactics, and making bait and tackle adjustments based of the conditions and species i'm after. There is skill involved in understanding fish behavior and knowing what bait to use where. Very similar to a lot of sports fishing is a game of moments. On the day everything clicks and you catch 30 in a day, or you catch that big fish you have been chasing it's an incredible sense of accomplishment. It's something you can share with your friends or family around a campfire over strong drinks. Fishing with my dad is some of the fondest memories I have of my father growing up. It's a moment stuck in time that brings you back to great excitement, and joy. My grandfather and I fish a lot together since the passing of my father. It's a great way to build relationships and bond with someone no matter the age gap or economical differences. My nephew doesn't fish much, but he never misses a chance to talk about us catching 5 black drum in 10 minutes on the beach. For me catching a almost 5 pound bass on the day before Halloween with trick or treaters walking around, and having a neighbor come out to take pictures because he heard me Wooing with excitement is something I will remember forever. Similar to golf fishing is something that pretty much everyone can do. Some are better than others, but anyone can put a worm on a hook and catch a fish. Many anglers are catch and release mostly, but its still great to catch a mess of crappie or catfish and provide a great fish fry for family and friends. Above all why do I fish? Because it's fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19225865_10212196333402423_2827522255357521338_n.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	19544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.77 lbs, FC NEW PB.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	19545  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkinara View Post
    Never been a fan of fishing, always found it too boring. So Id like to hear from fishers why do you find fishing interesting?
    Are you kidding? If you don't enjoy it why log onto a fishing site & ask others why they do. We may feel the same way you do about something you enjoy, but i'm sure not going to log on somewhere to ask why you do. It's like any other sport or hobby. You either all in because you enjoy or can't stand it. lol
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For me the thrill of catching a fish on a bait u made its a primal hunting gathering thing I guess . being in the outdoors I have seen so much neat things being on the water it is totally peaceful seeing animals in there natural environment is totally awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously never had crappie in a plate

Fresh slab crappie in a fry daddy would be my reason. Everything else that I catch is just a bonus.
    Likes kydonky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkinara View Post
    It’s a quest, and I love every minute whether I’m catching or just fishing. Even a day I might
    Have been skunked and caught not a single fish , I’d enjoy the time spent. It may be an outdoor gene in my dna, it’s not present in every generation or siblings. Find it simply amazing that I can also sit in a tree hunting the same, as still as an inanimate rock, for hours, in nature.

Better pleasure than watching some sport being played by another on tv. Never understood how someone could do that. It’s just hard to explain. Like the Jeep owners say, it’s a Jeep thing... non owners just wouldn’t understand

I too am impressed that someone who doesn’t like fishing joined this site for sake of curiosity

Post Thanks / Like
    Boring is watching reruns on TV. It's really hard to be bored when you are outside surrounded by trees, wildlife. Even if you don't catch a fish you are off the couch.