Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from Wisconsin Christmas or New Years Week

Hi all, I am coming from Wisconsin to fish for bass for 4 days either next week (Christmas week), or the following week (new year’s week) largely depending on feedback here and weather, water level wind reports. I want to fish Cumberland. I figure the rain you all are getting now might change things, but also maybe sideline enough fishermen to get a response.

I’m a HS teacher in Milwaukee and can’t stand open water and gun deer season being over. I am hoping I can get answers to a couple questions. I haven’t been to KY since we used to load up the station wagon as a kid, but who knows after this trip might pack it up again.

I want to fish Lake Cumberland, but am open to others. Obviously cold is not a concern for me, but of course wind, current, floating trees, and water conditions are. I’ve watched way too many youtube videos and read most of the posts here like I would getting ready for any body of water (we have lakelink that many complain has to much detail). I have a small boat that I take out on Green Bay, big lakes, rivers and our impoundments so I know my limitations and one is I have limited range of a few miles so my plan is to launch and stay in creeks, maybe venturing out depending on conditions.

Questions

I know you do not have crystal balls and areas and creek to creek will be different, but would you guess water conditions (clarity, current, levels etc.) be better next week (Christmas), or the following week (new years)?

Are the launches in creeks I find online (Directions to Boat Ramps at Lake Cumberland) and in google maps mainly accessible in the next couple weeks?

Let’s say for some reason Cumberland is a bust for whatever reason. Could you name a lake or two as fall backs for bass?

OK, I am probably saying and asking too much already, but thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    With the rain forecast today and tomorrow the lake may be muddied even worse than it was recently so waiting that extra week may be your friend if muddy water scares you any. Not a lot of current to deal with on Cumberland in my experience unless you are fishing a creek after one of the previously mentioned rains (channel cats love muddy running water) or they are dropping the bottom out of the lake and pulling real hard at the dam. As far as ramps go, it is hard to say. Best approach would be to plan ahead on where you wanna go and jump on here and ask some of the fellas that fish Cumberland. Prior to the rain some of the ones I prefer were unusable but with eth water fluctuation from rain were accessible again. I would ask these guys and pay attention to the water level. They will be pulling hard if we get the rain we are supposed to the next 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    A good fall back on lake would be Dale Hollow. Not to far from the big C. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't fish Cumberland as often as some of the people who frequent this site but I do know a little about the lake. As far as water conditions you can find fishable water. Heck in the epic flood we had February 2019 when the lake set a record high it was still fishable water color on the main body. Yes creeks and feeder systems will get dirty and the main body as well as the creeks will have floaters but typically trash/floaters is more of an issue when the water gets into the treeline. Currently its 30 feet below the treeline so floating debris will not be as bad...Now I also need to be clear about everything I am typing...I am talking about the lower end of the lake because from Conley Bottom down to the dam is what I know. The upper end around Burnside handles runoff water differently from what I understand.

Based on the criteria you gave (small vessel and not wanting to make long runs on the lake) I would put in at the dam and run straight across the lake to Indian creek. Wind could make the run across the main body an issue for a small boat so use your judgment. It's only a mile or so from the dam to the opening of Indian but its straight across the biggest section of the lake so any wind will make it rough on a small vessel. Someone who knows might be able to tell you but I think there is a ramp at Grider Hill in Indian creek. I have zero idea if its usable at current water levels. If you're in a small vessel then Indian would be a decent size body of water to fish. It does get muddy when water runs in but the part towards the main lake should be a fishable color.

If you unload at the state park you have Pumpkin, Greasy and Clifty. They would be perfect for a small vessel. The only issue I see with them is they get dirty real quick because they are not very long. Your long creeks tend to not get as dirty as your short creeks.

If you can find a ramp in Beaver or Otter they would fish just like a small lake in itself. The same can be said for Wolf and Caney. The problem I have is suggesting a ramp. I typically use the dam or state park and fish the entire lower end, but a 15-20 mile run is not an issue for me. You need a more central ramp and I only know the large mainly used ramps.

Overall I think if there is a will there's a way and you can find fishable water. The most important piece of advice I can give you concerning bass fishing Cumberland verses Wisconsin is think opposite of what your use to...northern bass may like sunshine and bright nice days but for the bass at Cumberland that is the kiss of death. Perfect Cumberland weather would be 5 mph wind, heavy cloud cover and one of those days when you think any minute your going to need a raincoat.
    Likes Pescamon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the info. I'll report back.. I'll be bummed if I don't catch a single fish in a few days (love to catch cats too), but it's also about the adventure. The only thing about really muddy high water is that some of the new and different tactics (to me) Ive been planning might have to change, but who knows, it might increase my luck anyway.

Ihanks too Riverrat12 for the Dale Hollow suggestion. It's definitely on the list of 2.

I hope the rains don't get too bad for everyone. I was scraping snow and ice off the windshield in 20 degrees this morning and can't wait to visit.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Where on the lake are you staying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Where on the lake are you staying?
    I started looking at camping, but most of them were closed so I got smart and got a cheap hotel in Somerset next week. Looks like 50-60 degrees and low winds and I'll see the water when I get there.

I'm planning on using these launches on that side if they work out and some similar ones on the other side and have not really looked at the main lake launches too closely as options yet. I really want to experience the creeks, but of course find some fish too.

Alligator 1 at the end of 76
    Park forest behears ramp up Faubush creek
    Piney Woods on White oak

Based just on the internet those seem like good starting points, but I'm open to suggestions from other fishermen and the bait shop. Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Piney woods is a dirt and gravel ramp that should be usable when you are here. Lot of good fishing to be found in White Oak. One of my favorite small mouth creeks and great striper fishing in the winter months.
    Likes Pescamon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pescamon View Post
    I started looking at camping, but most of them were closed so I got smart and got a cheap hotel in Somerset next week. Looks like 50-60 degrees and low winds and I'll see the water when I get there.

I'm planning on using these launches on that side if they work out and some similar ones on the other side and have not really looked at the main lake launches too closely as options yet. I really want to experience the creeks, but of course find some fish too.

Alligator 1 at the end of 76
    Park forest behears ramp up Faubush creek
    Piney Woods on White oak

Based just on the internet those seem like good starting points, but I'm open to suggestions from other fishermen and the bait shop. Thank you!!
    I've sent you a Private Message. I've not used this feature before on this site, so I can't be for sure it worked. If it worked, I'd be glad to send you some info that may help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I owed you all an update. So I fished December 24,25,26 sun up to sun down and not a bite. I do love the area though and had a good time. I didn't meet anyone who caught a fish or see any get caught so I didn't feel that discouraged. I saw bait and always felt like I would get bit but nothing. I fished points banks etc etc and tried everything from swim and spinner and blade baits to jigs and Texas rigs, cranks, trolling etc.i got some great and funny advice so thank you.
    Day 1 white oak very muddy. Found clear water at the way back but shallow and no fish..piney launch was steep but nice..

Day 2 Caney better water, but no luck. Went pretty far
    Up the creek.

Day 3 greasy creek area.100% fog to start out of the little launch at clifty creek..went around the island and all the points and ledges in the area. Really thought that was gonna be my day, but not.
    I almost stayed one more day to fish the main lake with live bait, but headed to Colorado to see my son and caught some trout through the ice..hah.
    I'll be back I'm sure and thanks for welcoming me etc..

Oh, I would probably stay closer to the dam if I came around Christmas again. 27 and Somerset was nice but very busy with shoppers..missing Kentucky for sure. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I have seen Cumberland tough but not to the point where it was that tough 3 days in a row. Even though you struggled to find a bite I can tell by the way you wrote your report that you still had a good time. The lesson most people can learn from your report is a person can still have a good time even if they do not catch fish. Having a positive mental attitude and just simply enjoying your surroundings can make a day successful.