Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lake Cumberland 12/27

    Anybody else fish Cumberland today? It was crazy! When did guys get so rude? Had sevral boats pull up within 50 yards and drop in right in front of us and start fishing! I would not dream of doing that. We put in at the dam and fished main lake points and some in Indian creek but finally got aggravated with people crowding us and left! Fishing was good though lol.
    Likes mhall liked this post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Junction City Ky
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately that is they way of things and it is only going to get worse. I call it lack of parental guidance growing up. Because my dad would have smacked me on the back of the head for doing something like that. And yes Charlie I have not forgotten Stone creek dumb move on my part.
    Likes mhall liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kings Mtn. Ky.
    Posts
    775
    Post Thanks / Like
    High schoolers are worse than anybody i've seen.
    Likes mhall liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .LaGrange
    Posts
    10,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bdl1503 View Post
    Anybody else fish Cumberland today? It was crazy! When did guys get so rude? Had sevral boats pull up within 50 yards and drop in right in front of us and start fishing! I would not dream of doing that. We put in at the dam and fished main lake points and some in Indian creek but finally got aggravated with people crowding us and left! Fishing was good though lol.
    I love Cumberland above all and any lake in Kentucky. Been fishing there many years now and I'm usually decent on the lake. It has became a frickin zoo the last several years and its going to get worse. I have grown to HATE tournaments, yes I said I HATE THEM. For the reasons you mentioned and the INCREDIBLE pressure its putting on our fisheries and fish. The KDFWR needs to wake up and look at some form of moderation. Yea I know what you guys are going to say ''It's a big lake'' blah blah blah. Well with 200 to 300 bass boats with tournaments two weekends OR MORE out of every month I can tell you with confidence it's adversely affecting out fisheries and it dang sure is Cumberland.

    Now the rudeness is off the chart. It use to never happen to me but the last time I was down it was bad. High School tournaments are the absolute worst. Yea yea yea it's for the kids but that doesn't allow you to be a *******. Also I saw tons of floaters after the big one at Halcomb in late Fall.

    Sorry for the rant but I'm not the only one that feels this way and it's way past old. You can't even hide from this crap in the dead of winter anymore.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kings Mtn. Ky.
    Posts
    775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I love Cumberland above all and any lake in Kentucky. Been fishing there many years now and I'm usually decent on the lake. It has became a frickin zoo the last several years and its going to get worse. I have grown to HATE tournaments, yes I said I HATE THEM. For the reasons you mentioned and the INCREDIBLE pressure its putting on our fisheries and fish. The KDFWR needs to wake up and look at some form of moderation. Yea I know what you guys are going to say ''It's a big lake'' blah blah blah. Well with 200 to 300 bass boats with tournaments two weekends OR MORE out of every month I can tell you with confidence it's adversely affecting out fisheries and it dang sure is Cumberland.

    Now the rudeness is off the chart. It use to never happen to me but the last time I was down it was bad. High School tournaments are the absolute worst. Yea yea yea it's for the kids but that doesn't allow you to be a *******. Also I saw tons of floaters after the big one at Halcomb in late Fall.

    Sorry for the rant but I'm not the only one that feels this way and it's way past old. You can't even hide from this crap in the dead of winter anymore.
    A lot of high school fishing boat captains are teaching the kids this rude & unsportsman like conduct without even thinking about it. Some of the young guys don't even realize it & are cocky along with it. Makes you want to bend them over your knee & spank their *ss. lol A lot of their bigger tournaments have an insain amount of boats. If we think it's bad now what about in a few more years when high school fishing gets even bigger then it is now & it surely will. You talking about extreme fishing pressure.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have seen the ones who like to fish right on top of you are the college anglers. Now I am not saying it does not happen with high school tournaments, local clubs, other tournament trails or just your casual fishermen because it seems to happen all across the board but college anglers are the worst from what I have seen. Although I do not striper fish it seems like they are worse than bass boats when it comes to pulling in on top of one another. I have been bass fishing and seen a striper boat in the distance have a couple rods go down and the next thing you know there is three more striper boats pulling bait or fan casting all around them.

    Regarding Cumberland...and I don't mean to get this thread off track but I feel so strongly against it I have to mention it but what I really dislike the most about it is when it comes to bass fishing is KDFW allowing people to weigh in fish that are under the state size limit requirement. In 2020 BASS will hoist a College event as well as a High School event on Cumberland in May. I have yet to find any information as to what size limit they have for smallmouth but I bet it's not 18". FLW as well as some other bigger events have had multiple tournaments on Cumberland and KDFW allowed them to weigh in 15" smallmouth. KDFW needs to stop allowing this. The two particular events I am speaking about are early May when the females will be under stress because they are recovering from the spawn. Allowing them to weigh in undersize fish will just put more pressure and stress on them. Yes they will release the fish but if they were released immediately if their under 18" it would be more healthy for them.
    Likes mhall liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .LaGrange
    Posts
    10,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    From what I have seen the ones who like to fish right on top of you are the college anglers. Now I am not saying it does not happen with high school tournaments, local clubs, other tournament trails or just your casual fishermen because it seems to happen all across the board but college anglers are the worst from what I have seen. Although I do not striper fish it seems like they are worse than bass boats when it comes to pulling in on top of one another. I have been bass fishing and seen a striper boat in the distance have a couple rods go down and the next thing you know there is three more striper boats pulling bait or fan casting all around them.

    Regarding Cumberland...and I don't mean to get this thread off track but I feel so strongly against it I have to mention it but what I really dislike the most about it is when it comes to bass fishing is KDFW allowing people to weigh in fish that are under the state size limit requirement. In 2020 BASS will hoist a College event as well as a High School event on Cumberland in May. I have yet to find any information as to what size limit they have for smallmouth but I bet it's not 18". FLW as well as some other bigger events have had multiple tournaments on Cumberland and KDFW allowed them to weigh in 15" smallmouth. KDFW needs to stop allowing this. The two particular events I am speaking about are early May when the females will be under stress because they are recovering from the spawn. Allowing them to weigh in undersize fish will just put more pressure and stress on them. Yes they will release the fish but if they were released immediately if their under 18" it would be more healthy for them.
    Amen to that. It's COMPLETE BS. Fish by the regular lake regulations or go somewhere else. You can thank FLW for that they whined and cried and the department pandered to them. By the way the big one here recently was an FLW tourney and those are some entitled acting dudes.

    The lake regs are 18 inch on smallmouth those are the legal keeper sized fish, catch those if you have the skill and if not find another lake.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .LaGrange
    Posts
    10,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey R19 should we let the KDFW know how we feel about special regs for tournaments? You are one of many that I agree with on this subject. Jeff on this site and his buddies that live down around the lake are totally against it.

    Probably wouldn't do a bit of good but it's a thought.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know I have thought about emailing KDFW and voicing my concern. Until now all I have done is complain about it, but you mentioning it and also you mentioning you have friends that feel the same way made me think its time I act on my thoughts...I doubt it will change their mind but if enough emails are sent the possibility of them taking notice or possibly "doing the right thing/make everyone go by the 18" limit" can happen.


    I will post a link from the KDFW website that gives you the contact information for Fisheries Biologist in their area. I live in Adair County so my contact will be Eric Cummings. Marcy Anderson is the Fisheries Biologist for people who live in Russell, Pulaski and Wayne County. I plan on sending them both an email. I will post a link that gives their e-mail as well as all Fisheries Biologist across the state.


    In the link I posted you select the county in which you want to know who the contact person is.

    https://app.fw.ky.gov/WebContact/
    Likes mhall liked this post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    russell springs
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    cant hurt

    miss Anderson is a very polite and attentive listener but will quickly admit she has very little actual time on the water. in the past I have contacted her regarding issues with the striper fishery and she had no idea these things were going on. sometimes we take it for granted they are all knowing and tuned in to every thing goin on, that's just not the case
    by all means contact the kdfwr, if enough people $# ! t in the room somebody will notice the smell.
    Likes mhall liked this post

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    russell springs
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    striper boats

    from a distance it might seem these striper boats are crowding in on one particular boat, and sometimes this is actually the case. but often times these guys are very coordinated in their attack and will quickly "phone-a-friend" when they find the school and start hitting them. especially if it is multiple boats booked for the same group.
    but sometimes it's exactly what you thought it was...people saw a boat net a fish and just lost their common sense and all courtesy
    Likes mhall liked this post

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    miss Anderson is a very polite and attentive listener but will quickly admit she has very little actual time on the water. in the past I have contacted her regarding issues with the striper fishery and she had no idea these things were going on. sometimes we take it for granted they are all knowing and tuned in to every thing goin on, that's just not the case
    by all means contact the kdfwr, if enough people $# ! t in the room somebody will notice the smell.
    Thanks for your input...I included Marcy as well as Eric in the email I just sent. I personally spoke to Eric a couple of years ago at an outdoor seminar at our local high school regarding an issue at Barren River Lake that he was not aware of and he was very attentive as to what I had to say. I have also bumped into Eric a couple of times doing a creel survey on Green River Lake so I know he does get out on the water some.

    For those reading this thread I want your opinion. I was thinking about starting a seperate thread about contacting KDFW biologist. The title of this thread is simply titled Lake Cumberland 12/27. Some people might not read this thread because they have no interest in Lake Cumberland but they may have an issue that concerns them on their local water they might want to address to the department but do not know who to contact...should I start another thread or just let this one run it course?

    Either way please contact your fisheries biologist if you have a concern. In reply #9 I gave the link. All you have to do is select the county and you will see who you need to contact.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Article: CAPTAIN JIMíS LAKE CUMBERLAND - CUMBERLAND RIVER REPORT
    By Jim Durham in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 01:29 PM
  2. Article: CAPTAIN JIMíS LAKE CUMBERLAND - CUMBERLAND RIVER REPORT
    By Jim Durham in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM
  3. Article: CAPTAIN JIMíS LAKE CUMBERLAND - CUMBERLAND RIVER REPORT
    By Jim Durham in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2016, 02:15 PM
  4. Article: CAPTAIN JIMíS LAKE CUMBERLAND - CUMBERLAND RIVER REPORT
    By Jim Durham in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM
  5. Article: CAPTAIN JIMíS LAKE CUMBERLAND - CUMBERLAND RIVER REPORT
    By Jim Durham in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •