Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting

I have to admit that I don’t keep up with this kind of stuff. I’m not a tournament guy and never have been although I have many friends that like that kind of competition.

My question would be this. Is the old school catch, keep, weigh, release the best way to handle this kind of competition?

I’m almost 100 percent Kayak fisherman now days. My boat sits most of the year. The Kayak tournaments catch, measure, release. I would think there is less harm to the fish by doing so. Just my opinion but I think that’s a much better way to handle it and a special reg would not really matter if that was the case.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents

I’ve been tournament fishing since I was in high school 20+ years and I do understand the frustration you show up at your lake and it’s packed or they are in a big rush everywhere. But tournaments do a lot for bass fishing. We wouldn’t have the quality fisheries we do if it wasn’t for catch and release and that’s something tournaments pushed. All the new lures, electronics, boats ect a lot of that comes from the competition of tournaments.

The biggest complaint I’ve heard is why should tournament anglers get special treatment. By working with tournaments your providing a huge economic boost the area. Large national tournaments have avoided Cumberland, Laurel and dale hollow due to size regulations costing the state millions. Not just what the tournaments bring but by showcasing what can be caught will bring in tourism. For years Florida hurt themselves with regulations but attracted big pro events partly by allowing tournament exemptions. Normally you can only keep one fish over 16in. And the result has been more and more people going winter fishing there not that they needed more tourists lol.

Another point not mentioned is it promotes better fish care. I participated in a test event and they made sure we had aerators and the exemption will not be available in summer months when fish mortality is higher. As a result if the exemption is available more tournaments will be scheduled in spring and fall.

Will a few more bass die because of the exemption? Yes in cases where more fish are weighed in but I think it’s going to be very minimal. Also to be honest I’ve noticed lot of the bass that I had die in tournaments are hooked deep or in a bad spot and in my opinion would not have made it anyway, taking them for a boat ride isn’t a big factor when it’s not the summer months.

I just haven’t heard a good reason there shouldn’t be a tournament exemption vs the positives. Saying your putting more bass at risk isn’t a good point in my opinion you have to weigh the positives if that’s your reasoning for management policy you might as well outlaw live bait, barbs and treble hooks.

I guess we will find out what they decide in 2021 but for what it’s worth everyone involved in the text tournament studies and tournaments in general have also expressed their support

Post Thanks / Like
    I must admit I've been wrong all these years trying to be so protective of the fishery. Through several people's views I have realized that the resource belongs to every one and is theirs to legally do what they feel like doing with their catch. so in light of this new found enlightenment I decided every legal smallmouth and largemouth up to my limit will go in the cooler and hit the cleaning table. there will be many fish fries at my house and some of you are invited as I catch several hundred legal smallmouth each year with several over 6lbs (those fish will be smoked for fish dip).
    once again a very sincere thanks to all who have helped sway my decision to throw caution and concern to the wind.
    tight lines and hot grease to all
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    obviously all of the guys that know me know I'm not serious....I would NEVER invite anyone to eat my fish
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Stripernut: Dang I was totally floored when I read this , I had to back up and read it again. If you had caught several hundred smallys over 6 lb, me and you was going fishing!

Post Thanks / Like
    You got me tore up, Let me edit ,Several hundred a year over 6 pound!!

Post Thanks / Like
    lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I’m more concerned with non native species and those who pursue them. Take stripers for example. They do not belong in Kys waters and should be eradicated at every opportunity. Striper fishermen have done more damage by introducing non native baitfish than any bass fishermen. Find a biologist that disagrees with that.

Also, when is the last time you had a bass tournament angler claim an entire creek to himself? Just a few years ago this forum had a striper angling member that made a fool of himself with a YouTube video, screaming at a houseboat I think. I don’t care how many planer boards you have to troll live bait with, you don’t own the water. I would target striper for table fare but everyone knows trash fish taste like crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim E, I couldn't agree more! and I am certainly doing my part to eradicate stripers from lake Cumberland. but they only allow me to do it at a rate of 2 per day. and because they taste like "crap" as you say I will continue to fillet those tasty smallmouth. thanks for your advice, I've been so wrong all these years.
    eating striper, yuck!

Post Thanks / Like

eating stripers

I'm not going to argue about the stripers in the lake being an invasive species that is not in question but for those who tout about the benefits to the lake that bass tournament fishing does, must also acknowledge that the addition of stripers to the lakes has probably done at least as much if not more for the lake, more for the economy and overall lake enjoyment as people have adapted to their presence in the lake.

What I’m going to argue with you about is how delicious stripers are to eat, if you are joking OK but if you are serious. You should indulge in some fresh grill striper tacos. Other than fresh brook trout they my favorite freshwater fish, granted I am not someone who deep fries fish as you can bread season just about anything and make it edible .

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    I would target striper for table fare but everyone knows trash fish taste like crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI...for those interested, Saturday 2/21 is when KY Afield is having their spring fishing call in show. For those not familiar with the show every so often they have a call in show dedicated just for hunting or just for fishing. This one happens to be the spring 2020 spring fishing call in show. If my memory is correct they also answer a few questions that was sent in via e-mail or facebook but the majority of question are by people who called in.

A little history about KY A field. It is the longest running outdoor show in the United States. It first aired in 1953. It is also the 4th longest running TV show in the nation. Meet The Press is the longest running TV show in the nation, starting 1946.

Anyways I just thought this would be a good platform to ask a question about any fishing related subject. I have never called the show but I have thought about it in the past on a subject not related to what this thread got started on. I have to work saturday afternoon or I would call and ask if they could leave the Cumberland smallmouth size limit at 18" for everyone or make it 15" for everyone. As I said earlier in this thread it really does not bother me if its 15" or 18" as long as it's the same for everyone. I do prefer 18" but more importantly I prefer it being the same for everyone.
    Likes DogFood liked this post