Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
Never fished on the Ohio. Is the walleye/sauger bite a consistent bite? Like worth driving 3.5 hours for? Just curious. I know a fella can get up there and catch blues pretty regular from what I have read and seen but i'm not crazy about eating blues. Thanks!!
To answer the question, well no. The river changes so much I would hate to spend all that time driving for a sauger bite that might not be there. The river has been extremely high the last couple years and what we look for is lower levels and some stability. When the river yo-yo's up and down it is extremely un predictable. Two weeks ago I caught and released 5 small males in my cast net looking for bait and I thought, won't be long for the females. So last week I hit two different creeks in my boat with fresh caught minnows and jigged with my usual white and chartreuse grubs and couldn't keep the channel cats off my grubs. Not one sauger. I've always said, the river and my wife have a lot in common, they change everyday and you can never figure them out.