Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio River

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious if anyone would be comfortable using this boat ramp after dark. I’ve fished behind the falls at night don’t think I would leave vehicle unattended and possible personal safety issues. Not the best place to be after dark.
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never fished the Ohio river and as I read this article I was also wondering if this was a decent area and a good stretch of the river to fish. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snookman View Post
    Just curious if anyone would be comfortable using this boat ramp after dark. I’ve fished behind the falls at night don’t think I would leave vehicle unattended and possible personal safety issues. Not the best place to be after dark.
    I wouldn't trust it during the day.
    Shootings aren't uncommon in that neighborhood.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can be some really good fishing behind dams. Be careful and wear personal flotation devices. Lots of current and shallow water rock formations just below surface depending on river levels. As far as ramp I would make trip across bridge. Personal opinion ramp in Shawnee park is a big waste of tax payer money, don’t think I would use it during day and definitely not at night. Also, be on the look out for Asian Carp!
    Likes Wormin, roughriderbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Which ramp should I use across the bridge? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Which ramp should I use across the bridge? Thanks.
    The amphitheater in New Albany is the one I use. It's right off 64 and easy to see if your coming over the Sherman Minton. As far as a ramp in that neck of the woods...no thanks, I didn't feel good about the Greenwood boat ramp the few times I had to use it and this one is going to be even closer to crazy stuff. Chuck
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chuck. I looked it up,looks like a good area,good ramp,easy to get too and about 2 mile from Hydro's. Now looking at the river over the years at different water levels it looks like I would be better to go to the right of Sand Island and slow down toward the end I have a fiberglass boat so rocks and fiberglass are not the best of friends. Seance the early years of watching Hope Carlton on Kentucky Afield fish for Walleye/ Sauger I have wanted to fish here, Now 60 I need to pull the trigger or for get it.
    Likes roughriderbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Thanks Chuck. I looked it up,looks like a good area,good ramp,easy to get too and about 2 mile from Hydro's. Now looking at the river over the years at different water levels it looks like I would be better to go to the right of Sand Island and slow down toward the end I have a fiberglass boat so rocks and fiberglass are not the best of friends. Seance the early years of watching Hope Carlton on Kentucky Afield fish for Walleye/ Sauger I have wanted to fish here, Now 60 I need to pull the trigger or for get it.
    You get over this way on a Fri. and I'll be happy to show you around, I know a guy lol. Chuck
    Likes Wormin, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    You get over this way on a Fri. and I'll be happy to show you around, I know a guy lol. Chuck
    PM sent but your box is full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never fished on the Ohio. Is the walleye/sauger bite a consistent bite? Like worth driving 3.5 hours for? Just curious. I know a fella can get up there and catch blues pretty regular from what I have read and seen but i'm not crazy about eating blues. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Never fished on the Ohio. Is the walleye/sauger bite a consistent bite? Like worth driving 3.5 hours for? Just curious. I know a fella can get up there and catch blues pretty regular from what I have read and seen but i'm not crazy about eating blues. Thanks!!
    To answer the question, well no. The river changes so much I would hate to spend all that time driving for a sauger bite that might not be there. The river has been extremely high the last couple years and what we look for is lower levels and some stability. When the river yo-yo's up and down it is extremely un predictable. Two weeks ago I caught and released 5 small males in my cast net looking for bait and I thought, won't be long for the females. So last week I hit two different creeks in my boat with fresh caught minnows and jigged with my usual white and chartreuse grubs and couldn't keep the channel cats off my grubs. Not one sauger. I've always said, the river and my wife have a lot in common, they change everyday and you can never figure them out.