Search Fishin.com

Thread: Help on motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Help on motor.

Mercury pro xs 2020
    Or
    New Evinrude etec g2 ho?
    Ranger z518L so is the 150 ok or is the 200 a must. Performance is not a must but don't want a pig. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    A 150 is ok but a 200 will put a bigger smile on your face.

Post Thanks / Like
    max out the horsepower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either brand of motor will be a good choice. Even though you did not have it listed I would even throw in Yamaha SHO. Now I will say I am an Evinrude guy. That's all I have owned for the last 20+ years and I have had very good luck out of them. With that be said my opinion is any of the big 3 (Rude,Merc,Yamaha) makes very reliable motors. I have never been one to bash a motor brand. All of the big 3 have had specific models that were prone to issues and all 3 have multiple models that have an excellent reputation for longevity. If you do proper maintenance, run good fuel and treat every tank with the recommend fuel treatment for the brand motor you run, plus burn 100% synthetic oil (on two stroke models) and do the extra things necessary to prolong motor life they all are good. I could give a longer list of to do things for a motor but I think you get the idea of what I am talking about based on what I have said so far.

With that being said I would make my choice based on what dealer support I have that I trust. If you have a mechanic that is known to be a good technician on Evinrude then go Evinrude. If his reputation is being a good Mercury wrench then go Mercury, same applies if it's Yamaha...if all is equal then in this specific situation I say G2 and here is why. Ranger makes an excellent boat but they are typically a little heavier than other brands the exact same size. The G2 has low end torque that is unreal. It will pop that Ranger up on plane and have it going in just a few feet. Top end will be close to the Mercury with Mercury being 1-2 mph faster. For that same reason (holeshot) I also recommend the 200 over the 150, plus in the long run the 200 will have better resale down the road. If you do go with the G2 200H.O. I would also recommend the 4 blade RX4 prop. I bet a Z518 with a G2 turning a 24 RX4 is an awesome combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by swimjigboy View Post
    Mercury pro xs 2020
    Or
    New Evinrude etec g2 ho?
    Ranger z518L so is the 150 ok or is the 200 a must. Performance is not a must but don't want a pig. Thanks
    Thank guys! Appreciate your thoughts. We have always maxed out boats But was thinking cost. But our dealer is a merc dealer so that means merc for us again. And we got a great price out of our 14 yr old z19 with a 225 on it. Thanks