Fairness

Some people would define fairness as a nebulous concept defined by one’s feelings and experiences. For others, fairness may be centered on what is “politically correct” or “what a man thinks”, but for the most part, fairness implies what is “coming to us”, or “how I should be treated.” We all desire fairness and justice.

The true definition of fairness is impartial or just behavior without favoritism or discrimination. Being just is being in conformity with what is morally right and legally correct, guided by truth, reason and fairness. God does not show partiality or favoritism.

There is another word closely associated with fairness, “righteous.” The definition of righteousness is the quality of being morally right or justifiable. The following are characteristics of the righteous as mentioned by David in Psalm 15: live blameless life, speak the truth, refuse to gossip, refuse to do hard to your neighbor, keep promises and vows, and protect the innocent. Anyone who tries to follow these characteristics will find it is difficult to do. Living for righteousness entails a sincere desire and passion to serve God. God looks at fairness in the confines of what is righteous and just.

Fairness is only found in the Bible twenty-five times in the Books of Isaiah, Proverbs, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Hosea, Malachi, 2 Corinthians and Colossians. In Matthew 20:1-16, Christ teaches the fundamental principles of fairness where both the early workers and the late workers received the same wage. Actually, to God, the concept of fairness is irrelevant to Him. In this parable, Christ shows fairness as a matter of generosity to those who did not deserve it. Generosity is not fair. Generosity is an undeserved gift for services not rendered. Generosity is gift, given freely, with nothing expected in return. Real generosity is never deserved. Demanding fairness from God means getting what we deserve. In God’s view, we all would be condemned for our sins, if it were not for His saving grace.

How things are going in our nation right now, we could use some fairness, justice and righteousness, as well as, some redemption by grace. If our leaders practiced fairness, justice and righteousness in their lives, maybe generosity would follow. I am not holding my breath.