Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRL??

Post Thanks / Like

GRL??

Anyone been to or by Green this week that can give an update on the water conditions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I live pretty close to Green and I drove by a couple places yesterday (tue 1/28) just to look at the water out of curiosity. It's still way over summer pool but with them having the main gate open at a high rate of discharge it is falling a decent amount everyday. Holmes Bend is still over the first parking lot and heavy color. I also drove over Plum Point bridge and the color from the river is still pretty heavy. I have zero idea what the water temperature is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called the COE Lake Information ... they're saying 49deg water temp (they take temp at dam FYI)

Lake is still 19ft above Winter Pool & falling at around 1ft/day (currently) from a discharge rate of 7000cfs.

Post Thanks / Like

2/7 Holding water again

Parking lot covered again at GR Marina. COA pulling some evil tricks. All the rain is backing up and should go even higher. Now 15' over summer pool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    Parking lot covered again at GR Marina. COA pulling some evil tricks. All the rain is backing up and should go even higher. Now 15' over summer pool.

I am a little confused by your post. What does COA stand for. Is that a typo and you mean COE (corps of engineers). If so then what evil tricks are they pulling?

https://www.lrl-wc.usace.army.mil/reports/grbdlb.txt

On 2/7/20 COE reported the lake level at 687.93 and still on a steady rise of 1.76 ft in the last 24 hours. Based on the number they report it's 13.97 ft over summer pool but with the inflow still at 9376 cfs it will rise more because the main gate outflow is 507 cft. It should hit 15 ft over on 2/8. The COE can only control released water. They have zero bearing on what's coming into the lake. The COE can do what they want but mother nature has the final say in what the water level will be. With that being said, that's how your statement of COA being up to evil tricks has me confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only "negative" thing the COE has done is wait until so late in the year to work on the spill basin (IMHO) ... when they should have done it back in the late Summer / early Fall period, when the lake was down at Summer Pool & much less chance of heavy rains complicating things.

If you look at this COE chart : https://www.lrl-wc.usace.army.mil/plots/grr.html ... you will see that "IF" we have the same rainfall conditions as last year in Feb/March, Green could be in a world of hurt !!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah

I meant COE. Just like Sunday. The lake was only 6' over summer pool and they quit pulling it. Of course it started raining again, but two more days and they could have had it to summer pool before it started raining again Monday night.

I'm just ticked because my pontoon is slipped out there, December and January should have been great fishing months, and I spent a bunch of money on my motor last fall and don't know if it will start and run. I normally go warm it up every two weeks just too keep fresher gas running through it. I think it was November since I last could get to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    I meant COE. Just like Sunday. The lake was only 6' over summer pool and they quit pulling it. Of course it started raining again, but two more days and they could have had it to summer pool before it started raining again Monday night.

I'm just ticked because my pontoon is slipped out there, December and January should have been great fishing months, and I spent a bunch of money on my motor last fall and don't know if it will start and run. I normally go warm it up every two weeks just too keep fresher gas running through it. I think it was November since I last could get to it.

If you have Marine Sta-bil or Seafoam in your gas, you should be OK. I keep Seafoam in my gas, year around, and my boat sits idle from Nov-March (if not longer, sometimes) and my 90 Merc 2strk will start up with the normal "coaxing" even after that long without being run. I do keep my gas tank full during the downtime months to keep condensation to a bare minimum. It's stored outside & under a boat cover.

Also ... have you called the marina and asked if they have a shuttle boat in operation, to take boat owners out to the marina & back during normal operation hours ?? I've heard rumors they were doing that, but it might have been on Facebook, so I'm not 100% sure that they are doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

I could borrow a kayak

I do use Seafoam. My pontoon is now 11 years old and all the rubber in the motor dry rotted. Found a spark plug wire shorting to a bolt head. Then had to replace fuel pump. Took 3 trips to the doctor to get it running. Lucky it didn't catch fire. I need to get confidence back in it. Left me stranded a couple of times, but did work when we launched it last.

When in the middle of GRL, the motor won't start, and your trolling motor can't keep up with the wind, and there is no boat in sight--It's a scary feeling. There is no triple A for boats.

I have a pontoon because that is as close as I want to get to the water. I should be out there in another 18 days give or take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    The only "negative" thing the COE has done is wait until so late in the year to work on the spill basin (IMHO) ... when they should have done it back in the late Summer / early Fall period, when the lake was down at Summer Pool & much less chance of heavy rains complicating things.

If you look at this COE chart : https://www.lrl-wc.usace.army.mil/plots/grr.html ... you will see that "IF" we have the same rainfall conditions as last year in Feb/March, Green could be in a world of hurt !!

The issues run deeper than what meets the eye. The coe doesnt get their budget approved until the spring, which would be fine. However, the funds often arent released until later in the year. Once they had the funding, they had to take bids on getting the job done, something they couldnt do until the funds were released. So once they got the funds released and the contractor was chosen they had to get the work done at that time or risk that the funding might not be there if they wait until a later date. The work was done when it had to be done. My quoting of the timeline may have been off a touch but you get the idea. The lake still has like 18’ until it reaches the emergency spillway which is considered flood level. All ramps and marinas were built below flood level so you get what you get. The lakes first objective is water storage to control flooding and thats exactly what its doing. Recreational activities are a byproduct of the lake. While it does **** for us that enjoy using the lake, it is what it is.

Also, if you look we’re very close to being on the same trajectory we were on last year. It didnt get down last year till the end of march. They are opening it up to 5500cfs today so IF we get a stretch with not much rain theyll get it pulled back down pretty quick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    The issues run deeper than what meets the eye. The coe doesnt get their budget approved until the spring, which would be fine. However, the funds often arent released until later in the year. Once they had the funding, they had to take bids on getting the job done, something they couldnt do until the funds were released. So once they got the funds released and the contractor was chosen they had to get the work done at that time or risk that the funding might not be there if they wait until a later date. The work was done when it had to be done. My quoting of the timeline may have been off a touch but you get the idea. The lake still has like 18’ until it reaches the emergency spillway which is considered flood level. All ramps and marinas were built below flood level so you get what you get. The lakes first objective is water storage to control flooding and thats exactly what its doing. Recreational activities are a byproduct of the lake. While it does **** for us that enjoy using the lake, it is what it is.

Also, if you look we’re very close to being on the same trajectory we were on last year. It didnt get down last year till the end of march. They are opening it up to 5500cfs today so IF we get a stretch with not much rain theyll get it pulled back down pretty quick
    Thanks for the explanation on the reason why the COE waited to do the spillway work.

And if we're on the same trajectory as last year ... we're HOSED !! LOL !! This time last year we were at 682 and the late Feb/early March rains took us to nearly 700 .... and we're already at that level NOW. It took the dam spilling at 5000-7000cfs for most of March to get it down last year, and we didn't have much rain in March ... we can only hope it's the same this year.

We also have to take into account that Barren, Rough, & Nolin are higher than normal for this time of year ... and they all empty into the Green River at some point before it empties into the Ohio River.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post

This statement is correct...the water level on 2/17 is almost the same as 3/4 of 2019. If the trend in 2020 mirrors what happened in 2019 it should see summer pool mid March. Looking at the 10 day forecast we have some rain coming but the projected rainfall is not a significant amount. They are calling for .35" tuesday 2/18 and .4" sunday 2/22. Even though that is a low projected amounts of rainfall I could see it affecting how much they draw they lake because the ground is still saturated. However even though I say that Per:coe website the main gate was on .70 monday 2/17 with an anticipated setting of 1.2 for tuesday 2/18. Apparently they are not worried much about the forecast of .35" of rain predicted for tuesday 2/18 if they plan on opening the gate more the same day we are forecasted more rain.

I just hope they get it manageable by mid March. I already have 100 hours of vacation approved for the last half of march. That is the time I start hitting it hard and last year mid to late March was horrible and when I say horrible I mean as bad as I can remember for a long time. Around the last week of March in 2019 when they finally got the level somewhat stable it went from being horrible to on like donkey kong just like someone flipped on a light switch.