Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Where to go with kayaks in south-central KY?

My 12YO son and I will be coming down from Michigan for our yearly spring break Kentucky fishing trip in three weeks.

We are staring off at Natural Bridge. We have had great success at the Mill Creek Lake there catching some really big bass in years past.

After that we are heading towards the west for a few more days.

Looking for suggestions on what lakes to try and tactics to use. Laural, Green River, Cumberland (huge so where?)... really any place west of 75 to Mammoth Cave would be on target.

Criteria are safe launch site, safe for kayaking, not miles to get on target, and action. My son is up for anything fish wise. We use both fly rods and conventional tackle. Like em both.

Thanks,

Cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Green River is a good choice

Post Thanks / Like
    Laurel can be a frustrating lake at times if you don't have any experience on it so I personally would mark it off the list. It is a great lake don't get me wrong but when I think about where I would fish, I wouldn't think kayak. Green is still in the bathrooms in several of the ramps so it is crazy right now. Cumberland would be my choice if I was gonna make one. You can pick from most any creek and have good access close to decent fishing. I like fishing the small end of the lake myself but it depends on what you want to catch. The small end tends to be more spot and LM fishing while the big end has a more consistent SM bite. I love fishing White Oak if I am moving toward the big end and looking for SM and you can launch way up creek at Piney and be in decent fishing pretty quick. Buck creek is a beautiful creek that I see a lot of kayakers in and plenty of LM and spots to be caught there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Laurel can be a frustrating lake at times if you don't have any experience on it so I personally would mark it off the list. It is a great lake don't get me wrong but when I think about where I would fish, I wouldn't think kayak. Green is still in the bathrooms in several of the ramps so it is crazy right now. Cumberland would be my choice if I was gonna make one. You can pick from most any creek and have good access close to decent fishing. I like fishing the small end of the lake myself but it depends on what you want to catch. The small end tends to be more spot and LM fishing while the big end has a more consistent SM bite. I love fishing White Oak if I am moving toward the big end and looking for SM and you can launch way up creek at Piney and be in decent fishing pretty quick. Buck creek is a beautiful creek that I see a lot of kayakers in and plenty of LM and spots to be caught there.
    Definitely won't be as much boat traffic up buck creek.That's probably where i'd go in a kayak & if the spawn is on decent you'll have a pretty good time too. This time of year about any creek will have boats running all the way to the head in extremely shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

Places to kayak fish

Pennyrile state park is a great place to float a kayak and take a 12 yr old fishing. Lots of bass in a small lake there. 120 acres or so. I’ve had more luck at the shallow end. Tons of 10-12 inch bass there. There is a lodge there too.