Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon question

I started using fluorocarbon last year and began to have a lot more success. Because it's more expensive I ended up using Trilene XT as a backer with a fluorocarbon leader of at least several feet (with FD knot).

First I tried the Berkley Vanish and it wasn't so great. Then I went to the Seaguar red label. While it's definitely better the stuff breaks way too often. I mostly fish soft plastics, usually with a texas rig and 1/8oz bullet weight. The movement of the bullet weight is fraying the fluorocarbon causing it to unexpectedly snap. And it almost always happens mid-cast.

Is there a better fluorocarbon that is more abrasion resistant? I'm about to re-spool my reels completely. So if there's a better fluorocarbon I'll buy it. And I may use braid as a backer this time.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using slip bullet weights with line inserts, small tubes inside of line hole. I like Berkley fluorocarbon line or basspro floro .
    Bassky
    Likes fishin-fool liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Try using slip bullet weights with line inserts, small tubes inside of line hole. I like Berkley fluorocarbon line or basspro floro .
    Bassky
    Try the tungsten weights the hole is much smoother than the lead weights. I don't use fluorocarbon line very much cause it is easier to brake. Try the P-Line fluorocarbon coated I brake it less and has just as good feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin-fool View Post
    I started using fluorocarbon last year and began to have a lot more success. Because it's more expensive I ended up using Trilene XT as a backer with a fluorocarbon leader of at least several feet (with FD knot).

First I tried the Berkley Vanish and it wasn't so great. Then I went to the Seaguar red label. While it's definitely better the stuff breaks way too often. I mostly fish soft plastics, usually with a texas rig and 1/8oz bullet weight. The movement of the bullet weight is fraying the fluorocarbon causing it to unexpectedly snap. And it almost always happens mid-cast.

Is there a better fluorocarbon that is more abrasion resistant? I'm about to re-spool my reels completely. So if there's a better fluorocarbon I'll buy it. And I may use braid as a backer this time.

Thanks.
    Vicious fluorocarbon has the best abrasion resistance of all the fluorocarbon I've tried. It has a little more memory but a little line conditioner takes care of that. As with all line, if your are fishing around rocks or cover, check it for fraying from time to time and retie if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

try a hybrid

I have moved to a fluoro coated co-polymer line for the same reason and have no issues. Hope this helps.
    RJP

Post Thanks / Like
    agree with the change to tungsten for less abrasion. Plus the difference you get in sensitivity with tungsten is significant to me. I have had good luck with pline flouro clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple solutions you should consider.

#1. Use the correct knot with fluorocarbon. Shaw Grigsby, Gerald Swindle,and many others have great YouTube videos on the best knot for fluorocarbon.

#2. Ditch the tungsten. Tungsten is harder than lead and will eat your line. Tungsten with inserts will help but then you just turned your sensitive tungsten into a soft,sluggish lead sinker that has been working for years at a fraction of price.

#3. Try Seaguar Invisx
    Likes fishin-fool, HawgHunter75 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Look up Klein knot on YouTube. It will say Repel/ Behind the line with Gary Klein:Strongest knot. I listed knot as #1 because I figure that is causing your issue. Tungsten #2 because it is very hard on line and you better retie often.

This knot is one of the easiest I’ve ever tied once you get used to it but I only use on fluoro. Tied correctly you will hear a “click,snap,or pop” depending on your hearing. Be sure to moisten before you cinch it because fluoro burns easy.
    Likes fishin-fool, HawgHunter75 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input.

I've been using your typical lead bullet weights. I was using stainless steel ones but they're larger. The tungsten ones are kinda pricey but I'll give them another go. I've only used them a few times.

My go-to knot is the palomar, occasionally it's the improved clinch. I use the FG knot to tie the leader. But I will check out the knots mentioned.

Once I realized there was a problem I started paying more attention to the line near the weight. And it was clearly the movement of the bullet weight slowly fraying the line. So I tried to keep an eye on it. But it's like sometimes it would degrade quite suddenly to the point of failure. I've bought the things to peg the weight but actually prefer not doing that.

I figured there might be a better quality fluorocarbon. I'll look at some of the recommendations. I mainly fish Elkhorn and areas around Central KY for bass. So I've been using 8-10lb line. And I've assumed that's overkill. Should I go lighter? Heavier?

Post Thanks / Like

Line

Unless I'm fishing really clear water I will stick with mono, In creeks I use Maxima ultra green 6lb maybe 8lb at most, sometimes I'll go down to 4lb depending on snags.
    No matter what line you are using if your pulling it through rocks or having the current drag your bait along the creek bottoms its going to wear on your line, retie as needed.
    For Fluorocarbon leaders I also use Seguar Invisx. Not a fan of their red label.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use fluorocarbon leaders for almost everything, spinning and casting reels. Braid main line with FG knot to the FC leader and then a UNI knot or snell knot (only for flipping hooks) to the hook or lure. The Uni knot is easy/fast to tie and has never let me down. I even use it when I go saltwater fishing in Florida. I use Sunline Super Sniper FC and love it, although it is not the best for abrasion resistance but still good enough for me. Sunline shooter would probably hold up better abrasion wise. A quality FC will make a huge difference. I use to use Berkley Trilene 100% FC. It's good, but does not handle as well as Sunline. The Berkely does have better abrasion resistance and is a slightly larger diameter than Sunline Super FC. I also use nothing but tungsten weights(Strike King) without the plastic insert and really do not have issues with my texas rigs. Tungsten has so much more feel than lead. You might try giving those two FCs a shot.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Seguar Invisx. Just ordered 600 yards. My last order was 1000 yards. I tried many and like this the best. I would like to try Seguar Tatsu but cant bring myself to pay the price. Vanish was the worst for me.