Search Fishin.com

Thread: information

Post Thanks / Like

information

I need to be educated. There are electronics that show a lake map, the channel and where the boat is in relation to the channel. Is that a gps unit, mapping or something else? And do you know who makes the cheapest such unit? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically you’re talking about 2 things when you talk about the graph showing the boat position and the lake map. Showing the boat position is GPS. Showing the lake map is mapping.

There are some small inexpensive units that only have gps capabilities with no mapping. With these, it’ll basically show your boat’s location on a blank screen, but you can still mark waypoints and save your boat tracks for future reference. An example of a unit like this is: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...strkr4xxxxxfel

With gps and mapping, you’ll see exactly what you’re asking for, which is your boats position in relation to the lake’s contour lines. Mapping is a bit confusing though because each graph manufacturer treats the maps differently. Some graphs only come with maps preloaded into them and some graphs accept an SD card (basically a memory chip) that has lake maps on them. I would suggest going to a reputable store that you have confidence in and get them to help you select the proper graph with the mapping that you need. Some of the preloaded maps don’t have certain lakes on them and some SD cards don’t have certain lakes on them either, so you need to know what lakes you plan to fish and whether or not what you’re buying has those lake maps.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    dabassking gave some great advice. You are wading into some murky waters. Being a "senior" member puts you in my end of the pool. So much out there, most which we old guys don't really need (or understand- and don't CARE to). You need to choose one that is easy to use for YOU. SideVu looks pretty on the screen, but I didn't like the 12" transducer hanging off the back of boat. I have no desire to draw a map.Get one with GPS and you should be fine. Do a little online research then go to nearest Cabela's or Basspro and play with their units. Can't beat hands-on. I am not a computer engineer. Wanted pretty much a one-button selection. I walked in with my mind made up, and after playing with units went with a different brand. Hopefully you will bump into a "senior" sales person that understands your plight. Good luck.