Search Fishin.com

Thread: Easter

Post Thanks / Like

Easter

Easter is just around the corner, and its message in the simplest terms is “life-to-death-to-life.” During Easter, there seems to be less about the days after the resurrection than the events before or on crucifixion day. In times of Christ, the world was a lot different than the world we know today. Daily life in a Roman city was completely dependent on one’s economic status. The city, however, remained a mixture of wealth and poverty, often existing side by side.

For wealthy Romans, they lived in beautiful houses, running water, often on the hills outside Rome, away from the noise and the smell. They enjoyed an extravagant lifestyle with luxurious furnishings, surrounded by servants and slaves to cater to their every desire, whether it was heating the water at the baths, serving them their evening meal, or educating their children. The poor, on the other hand, had no access to education, no running water, lived in run-down tenements, and sometimes lived off the charity of the city.

During Easter, we celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In the Old Testament, there are numerous prophecies to the birth, death and resurrection of Christ. The hour-by-hour scriptural account of Christ’s death and resurrection can be found in the Synoptic Gospels. Roman punishment for certain crimes was barbaric, and Jesus’ crucifixion is a great example. Constantine the Great, the first Christian emperor, abolished crucifixion in the Roman Empire in 337 out of great respect and reverence for Christ.

Obviously, God’s plan of redemption is the main focal point of the Crucifixion. If Christ had not risen from the tomb, there would no hope for an eternal existence with Him. The question is do we believe Christ rose from the tomb? There were doubters, disbelievers and deniers after Christ rose from the tomb. Some of Christ’s followers thought the ballgame was over when He died on the Cross. Believing by faith alone is a major step in our human way of thinking. However, in the ancient Hebrew/Jewish writings, as well as Roman historical records, the truth according to historical facts is clear, and that does not include the scriptural accounts.

Mary Magdalene was the first to see Jesus after the Resurrection (John 20:14-16). After Mary Magdalene there were a number of women who saw Jesus and spread the news of Christ resurrection to others. It is interesting so many women were involved during the death and resurrection of Christ. Women of that day were not even allowed to testify in court.

Next, was Peter, the first of the Apostles to see Jesus. This was a private meeting to assure Peter, since he had just denied Jesus. Scripture is silent as to details, but Luke (24:34) wrote… “The Lord is risen and has appeared to Simon! Later on that Sunday, Jesus appeared to two more disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-16). These two disciples were leaving Jerusalem because they had lost hope in Jesus. One of these disciples is thought to be Cleopas. In John 19:25 it says, “Now there stood by the Cross of Jesus his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene.” The other disciple is thought to be either Cleopas’ wife or Peter, but the scripture does not mention the other by name.

In John 20:24-29 it reads, “But Thomas, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord.’ But Thomas said to them, ‘Unless I see the mark of the nails in His hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails in His hands, and my hand in His side, I will not believe.’” A week later, Jesus came and stood among them. Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see My hands. Reach out your hand and put it in My side. Do not doubt but believe. Have you believed because you have seen Me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Thomas struggled to believe because he wanted more proof. There are so many today like Thomas.

At Christ’s birth, the moon was a small “crescent moon” at the feet of Virgo, in the constellation of Leo; this was the “beginning of Christ’s journey” here on Earth. In Revelation 12:1-5, again it speaks of a “full moon” at the feet of Virgo in the constellation of Leo, but this time after the death of Christ it indicates, a “life fully lived.” God’s mission had been accomplished. The universe runs on an extremely accurate clock. God set all of this into motion even before creation.

As a reference check out Rick Larson’s, “The Celestial Palm, The Day of Cross.” If you would like to reference the birth of Christ, check out Rick’s “The Star of Bethlehem, 2007 on the Internet.

I wish everyone a glorious Easter. We all could use some good news. It looks like we will be celebrating in our homes. No matter where we may be, it can be a life-changing day.

Bonefish
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We were taught that Peter was fishing when the lord appeared and ask three times "do you love me" once for each time he denied him. There are so many translations and Greek text of the bible for one to find. I always remembered that one because of fishing. Great read Bone