Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Always Getting Snagged :( Any advice?

Hi Everyone.

I'm new here. I used to go fishing sometimes with my dad when I was younger. Never really got too involved with it... I just threw out some bait and a bobber and hoped for the best.

Well, it's been a while and I'm not starting to get into it again. I'm not looking to become an expert, but I'd sure like to at least kinda know what I'm doing.

Most people around my area fish for trout because the water is so dang cold. Well, I've had decent luck with some powerbait, but that's about it. I see people all the time fishing with lures down towards the bottom. I'd love to give this a go, but I lose every single lure I throw out because I get snagged on something. I really don't know what I'm doing different than everyone else. Obviously, it's gonna happen to everyone, but trust me... I know I am doing something wrong be the amount of lures I'm losing, lol.

So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? And more importantly, what should I be doing? How can I fish with these lures without getting caught everytime?

Any help is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

snagged

Quote Originally Posted by imbuffnotreally View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I'm new here. I used to go fishing sometimes with my dad when I was younger. Never really got too involved with it... I just threw out some bait and a bobber and hoped for the best.

Well, it's been a while and I'm not starting to get into it again. I'm not looking to become an expert, but I'd sure like to at least kinda know what I'm doing.

Most people around my area fish for trout because the water is so dang cold. Well, I've had decent luck with some powerbait, but that's about it. I see people all the time fishing with lures down towards the bottom. I'd love to give this a go, but I lose every single lure I throw out because I get snagged on something. I really don't know what I'm doing different than everyone else. Obviously, it's gonna happen to everyone, but trust me... I know I am doing something wrong be the amount of lures I'm losing, lol.

So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? And more importantly, what should I be doing? How can I fish with these lures without getting caught everytime?

Any help is appreciated!
    I would suggest reeling sooner and or faster to keep the bait off the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are weedless varieties of practically every type of hook or lure available. I would look into that. In most areas if you can befriend them there are usually locals that would be happy to share information with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using lighter lures. If you using 1/4 oz try 1/8 oz and so on

Post Thanks / Like
    Too many variables for me to give a specific answer. The best advice I can give is go with someone else that is willing to teach you.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't throw your bait at the middle of the brush pile.

Start 3' from the edges and work your way to maybe 1' away. Hungry fish will attack without you getting snagged. Of course sometimes the fish rushes out, grabs your bait, and swims back in.

Some fisherman believe you will not catch fish unless you are losing a few baits. That may be true, but I don't intentionally try to get hung up either.

Post Thanks / Like
    There so many u-tube videos on most all lure setups and how to use them. Give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of knot are you tying and what kind of line are you using? That accompanied with the correct weight of bait may assist you in losing less lures. There are better lines out there for abrasion resistance. Braid is great for strength but is easily cut on rocky bottoms. Learn a great knot and learn to tie it well. Always wet the line before you cinch it down as you might be burning your line and causing weakness. Just some ideas!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Get you a Rebel Crickethopper

It is a floating bail and I have anything from bass and bluegill to trout and walleye and even some pike up to 36 inches. If you reel it until it makes contact with the bottom it will usually deflect of obstacles. When it does hang up, you can usually give some slack and it will float out. Good luck! My favorite is the yellow version, but there are a variety of colors available.
    RJP