Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland Marina Expansion-Public input

---
    I'm posting this for Benji Kinman -

"This is very bad project and it is time for input for the Environmental Assessment prepared by the Corps.
    The enclosed document favors a compromise (Alternative 3) that will mitigate many of the impacts!
    Thanks! Anglers and boaters have 1 shot at stopping this crazy project!"

---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerial view of dock.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	19816

ATTENTION LAKE CUMBERLAND RECREATIONAL BOATERS/ANGLERS An Environmental Assessment is now available on-line from the Nashville Corps of Engineers (http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/Public-Notices/Category/10561/project-planning branch/) regarding the proposal to expand Lake Cumberland Marina (Alligator II) to include the Russell County Park (Old Alligator I site). The proposal being addressed in the assessment includes:
    · 1.26- mile walkway connecting to the Park. Walkway will be lined with new boat slips.
    · Utilization of the existing free fishing and recreational parking at the Park for dock patrons.
    · New fishing pier/courtesy dock connected to the Park for dock patrons.

This proposal was previously denied by the Corps (May 2019) and found to be a burden to recreation and not in the public interest. It would occupy a narrow channel in the Wolf Creek arm and compromise use of the Park. Russell County Park is a destination point for many locals and tourists since there are only four large public access points on the lake-not associated with a marina. This proposal:
    · Unprecedented in scope for Lake Cumberland marina development.
    · Creates a cumulative 1 hour 20-minute (round trip) no wake zone in the creek.
    · Impedes launching at low water by blocking the low-water ramp built during drawdown.
    · Creates boat hazards in this narrow channel at low-pool levels.
    · Parking for fishing and recreational users will be used by dock patrons.
    · Creates a fishing pier/courtesy dock laying on the ground during low water conditions.
    · Had no support at Summer 2019 public hearing.

The Corps has included an Alternative #3 in their Assessment to allow the same level of dock expansion on the lake side of the marina. It is a very reasonable compromise and allows:
    · Same number of boat slips and floating boat houses-despite 60+ slips currently empty.
    · Minimizes the no-wake zone expansion.
    · Provides the same economic/tourism benefits for Russell County.
    · Full utilization of the Russell Co Park for its intended purpose and ensures free launching.

To prevent the proposed development from impacting the enjoyment of our lake we need your involvement. Please send your comment by May 1, 2020 in support of Alternative 3 to:
    Email: CorpsLRNPlanningPublicCom@usace.army.mil
    Mail: Corps of Engineers
    ATTN:CELRN-PMP (T.Wiley)
    110 9th Ave South, Room A-405, Nashville, TN 37203

Please ACT NOW by sending your comment!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

This is a crock. They should have never been able to expand like they have already. The marina being at the mouth of wolf does not need to be there blocking so much & causing a long no wake zone in that area of the lake to begin with. Sure does not need to be taking up a county park because they'll be trying to stop the locals before you know it since they wouldn't be spending money there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    This is a crock. They should have never been able to expand like they have already. The marina being at the mouth of wolf does not need to be there blocking so much & causing a long no wake zone in that area of the lake to begin with. Sure does not need to be taking up a county park because they'll be trying to stop the locals before you know it since they wouldn't be spending money there.
    Look at state dock and Jamestown. Anyone been fined for buzzing through there?

Post Thanks / Like

Hm

Maybe it's because i obey the no wake zone laws. I know lots don't at night at certain ones because i've saw it, but i do. That & the fact that i don't think marinas need to be in creek channels. Main lake i could see because they would be on one side or another of open water, but in the creek channels is not the best place in my opinion. I pretty much dispise long no wake zones like the one in Wolf & the one at Lees Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Look at state dock and Jamestown. Anyone been fined for buzzing through there?

Fined? I couldn't tell you for sure. but over the last couple years I've watched water patrol take folks off the boat and to the ramp and hand em over to sheriff's deputies. theres a good chance the no wake thing isn't the violation that got them arrested but it's the action that got it started.
    obviously it's not watched 24/7 but its watched more than people think.
    it seems there is an increased effort to stop a lot of these activities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen no wake buoys slow down a marina jockey.

Post Thanks / Like
    marina jockey.
    Never heard the marina jockey thing before. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask....what is a "marina jockey"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    I have to ask....what is a "marina jockey"
    Guy who loads all the booze and drunk buckeyes on dingy and zips them to houseboat. You don’t Actually think they walk that far to boat do you? Heck, my son worked at a small marina and he hauled groceries, beer, and women from ramp. It paid well also!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guy who loads all the booze and drunk buckeyes on dingy and zips them to houseboat. You don’t Actually think they walk that far to boat do you? Heck, my son worked at a small marina and he hauled groceries, beer, and women from ramp. It paid well also!
    oh yeah never heard it called that lol