Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Catching live bait

I am always finding bait balls at lake Herrington and I am wondering if there is a way to catch some from my kayak. Is a cast net the only way to achieve this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cast net is the most consistent. They make all sizes if room is a concern. I have had some luck with sabiki rigs on larger shad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Cast net is the most consistent. They make all sizes if room is a concern. I have had some luck with sabiki rigs on larger shad.
    one time in FL we could place a sibiki rig over the side of the boat and EVERY SINGLE HOOK had a fish on it. We could have filled the boat up with bait fish. Never worked again. ever, lol.

i'll give the sabiki a try. ever tried casting a sabiki into the bait ball, and reel back, or did you have to be on top of the ball?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done both. Casting can be tricky for baits balls on top because it can sink through them quickly especially if its weighted. Its almost best to go weight free but that makes longer casts difficult. Those things being as log as they are also complicates things. I have cut them down to about half size and used them that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done both. Casting can be tricky for baits balls on top because it can sink through them quickly especially if its weighted. Its almost best to go weight free but that makes longer casts difficult. Those things being as log as they are also complicates things. I have cut them down to about half size and used them that way.
    perfect, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    are you going to try to keep the bait alive after you catch it or just use it dead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    are you going to try to keep the bait alive after you catch it or just use it dead?
    i got a couple sabiki rigs to try out at herrington tomorrow. i am just going to see if i can actually catch something, then i will look into some way to keep the bait alive on my kayak. i'll probably just bring a bucket tomorrow in case i do actually get some bait fish

Post Thanks / Like
    no luck with the sabiki. i tried a size 4 and found some small bait balls, none of the huge ones i was seeing before. i'll try again though.