Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

First Fishing Trip for A Little Guy

Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion for somewhere to take my nephew that is about 4 years old for his first fishing trip in the Lexington area from shore. I’m not concerned too much about what type of fish whether it be panfish or bass but we would love for him to just catch something period. We were considering Jacobson but when I was young, I never had much luck there. I don’t know what it is like now but any advice on what body of water to take him to would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Ponds

I personally don't have a pond, but continue to ask around. It's a bit tricky with distancing these days. The Salato center in Frankfurt, might be open, and if there is so much as a fountain or drainage pond where you work, go for bluegill. The normal snack/hr rate is about 4 times as much, and if you buy minnows or wax worms, double it-bait can be really fun at that age. Sunscreen, water, and all that for a couple minutes of fishing; totally worth it. Good luck and have a ton of fun.
    Likes jp_2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Youth fishing

I also suggest the drive over to Frankfort to the wildlife center if it is open. Indoor interactive activities when it gets to hot. Both lakes are well stocked and plenty of bullgill for the fun factor.
    Sorry I don't know much about the Lexington area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't been to the Jacobson Park lake in some time, so I don't know about the general populace being all that into the social distancing thing out there. But I'm sure a bucket of wax worms would provide lots of action from small Bluegills, Catfish, and possibly even Carp. It's a FIN's lake so you'd best get there fairly early if you want a decent bank spot or on one of the two walkway piers.

There's also the Southland Christian Church "lake", just over the Jessamine Co. line on Harrodsburg Rd. ... but it's pretty small and can get crowded pretty quick. It's also a FIN's lake.

The Horse Park lakes are also FIN's lakes, but I believe they charge for entry into the park.

There's Lake Reba in Richmond, that has bank access areas.

I'm pretty sure that most of the playground areas are closed at any lake mentioned, on account of the Covid-19 virus.

Post Thanks / Like

Fins lakes

https://fw.ky.gov/Education/Pages/Ma...INs-Lakes.aspx

these are stocked multiple times a year see what is close to you, they even have a stocking schedule

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I’m thinking either Frankfort or the KY Horse Park. Maybe there wouldn’t be too many people at the lakes at the Horse Park if you have to pay for park admission. The wildlife sanctuary sounds fun too. Once we finally make a trip, I’ll let you know. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Crickets

Best live bait for bluegills!!

Post Thanks / Like

access to a boat?

Wilgreen is a great little bluegill lake. We usually take kids with the intent of catching 100 fish and if we don't make it, we get real close.