Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington Marina fee

A buddy says the marina has raised their ramp fee from $10 to $20. Ouch. Any advice on the closest nearby public ramp? Kennedy is a bit far with a 6HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say The Cove Marina in Tanyard Branch would be the closest. (it's the marina formerly known as Red Gate Marina) But I don't know if they still have a launch ramp, and I fear it's become more of a "party place". You can call them @
    (859) 304-1430

Other than that, it's Chimney Rock, Pandora, or Kamp Kennedy .... all of which are miles downstream from Herrington Marina or The Cove Marina. All the marinas upstream are even farther away (by several miles).

I'm curious, though ... what does having a 6hp have to do with launching at Herrington Marina ?? If you only have a 6hp motor on your boat, then you'd be better off launching at a ramp closest to where you intend to fish. That being said ... I used to fish out of the flat bottom wooden row boats that you could rent at Red Gate Marina & put a 10hp motor on it and fish Tanyard Branch & McKecknie Branch back when I was a kid fishing with my grandparents. It wasn't really that long of a ride, even though it's idle speed in both creeks.

On a personal note : I gave up even considering launching a boat at Herrington Marina ... not only because of the sharp curve launch ramp, but the people running the marina were never really all that "angler friendly" IMHO. They were the first to raise the launch fee from $5 to $10 ... then the other launch fees eventually were raised. If the other launch fees follow suit, then I won't be fishing Herrington anymore. (not that I fish it more than 1-2 times a year, as it is)

(oops ... sorry for the rant. LOL !! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I'd say The Cove Marina in Tanyard Branch would be the closest. (it's the marina formerly known as Red Gate Marina) But I don't know if they still have a launch ramp, and I fear it's become more of a "party place". You can call them @
    (859) 304-1430

Other than that, it's Chimney Rock, Pandora, or Kamp Kennedy .... all of which are miles downstream from Herrington Marina or The Cove Marina. All the marinas upstream are even farther away (by several miles).

I'm curious, though ... what does having a 6hp have to do with launching at Herrington Marina ?? If you only have a 6hp motor on your boat, then you'd be better off launching at a ramp closest to where you intend to fish. That being said ... I used to fish out of the flat bottom wooden row boats that you could rent at Red Gate Marina & put a 10hp motor on it and fish Tanyard Branch & McKecknie Branch back when I was a kid fishing with my grandparents. It wasn't really that long of a ride, even though it's idle speed in both creeks.

On a personal note : I gave up even considering launching a boat at Herrington Marina ... not only because of the sharp curve launch ramp, but the people running the marina were never really all that "angler friendly" IMHO. They were the first to raise the launch fee from $5 to $10 ... then the other launch fees eventually were raised. If the other launch fees follow suit, then I won't be fishing Herrington anymore. (not that I fish it more than 1-2 times a year, as it is)

(oops ... sorry for the rant. LOL !! )
    Thanks. Yes, I’m trying to put in close to Tanyard (Red Gate) since the hybrid fishing has been good there. Herrington Marina is only a half mile away so certainly is my preference for launching. The ramp at Red Gate fishing camp appears blocked and unusable but I appreciate the phone # and will give them a call. I only mentioned the small outboard because to put in at Kennedy is a four mile run.

My friend says he spoke with marina employees and they explained the increase was intended to discourage itinerant boats which are apparently causing a parking lot issue and to instead focus on their rental customers.