Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic Steering

Going to replace my cable steering with hydraulic steering. I have a 1998 Stratos 273 (17'3") boat with a Johnson 150 fitch fast strike outboard. Does anyone know the formula for converting cable length to hydraulic hose length? I know you use longer hose. So far all the Sea Star sites can't give me an answer. Been transferred to three different phone numbers and the last one was no longer in use. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Brushawg

Post Thanks / Like

His measurements

Measure from the helm (center of your steering wheel) to the side of the boat, down the side even with the motor, from side of boat to the motor then add 1.5'. Pick the hose kit that is your fits . Go up to the next size if it falls in between. If your a hose is a little long you can coil it up under your back deck compartment.
    Likes Brushawg, roughriderbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently I had some air in my lines due to a small leak. I used youtube and found multiple helpful videos. I don't recall seeing any that mention how to measure hose length but my search feature was how to purge air so installs were more than likely not showing up. I would check youtube and use install as my search feature.

FYI I would only use Sea Star OEM fluid to fill the system. At $24 a quart you will want to treat that stuff like liquid gold so I would buy the bleeder kit to purge the air from the system. If you have the bleeder kit you will not lose a drop of oil. The bleeder kit is well worth the money and makes purging air simple. Your profile shows your in Earlanger. If you were close to Columbia you could swing buy and borrow mine.

Here is the link to the bleeder kit...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liquid gold at $24 a quart...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Likes Brushawg liked this post