Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Creek Fishing In/Around Louisville

My son loves to creek fish and we really only go to Floyd's Fork. It's pretty good, but can get somewhat deep in certain spots to wade. I believe Harrods Creek is similar in it being pretty deep to wade.

Are their any other creeks around that are decent for wading?

I've seen these on google maps but just not sure about them:
    Fishpool Creek (behind Southern HS)
    Goose Creek
    Beargrass Creek (heard it's nasty because of sewage runover) - not sure if true

Any help would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the Falls of the Ohio. Some white curly tail grubs will catch all kinds of things down there - white bass, sauger, drum, and even catfish. You really don't know what you're going to catch down there. I love wading that area in the summer.

Park here, and then follow the trail down to the water:
    38.273039, -85.759011
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Try the Falls of the Ohio. Some white curly tail grubs will catch all kinds of things down there - white bass, sauger, drum, and even catfish. You really don't know what you're going to catch down there. I love wading that area in the summer.

Park here, and then follow the trail down to the water:
    38.273039, -85.759011
    ABSOLUTELY.

I have not been down there in a while, but there have been times I've caught 100 or so whites down there in an afternoon.

and if the sauger are up, they are awesome to catch and GREAT to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cal9323 View Post
    My son loves to creek fish and we really only go to Floyd's Fork. It's pretty good, but can get somewhat deep in certain spots to wade. I believe Harrods Creek is similar in it being pretty deep to wade.

Are their any other creeks around that are decent for wading?

I've seen these on google maps but just not sure about them:
    Fishpool Creek (behind Southern HS)
    Goose Creek
    Beargrass Creek (heard it's nasty because of sewage runover) - not sure if true

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Fishpool creek is not much. I lived near Southern HS for years and walked and yes fished Fishpool but it is too small and is channelized (not a natural flow) so although there are some fish and minnows it is very limited.

I have never fished Beargrass creek myself but I have a nephew who used to fish it in the St Matthews area and he caught some ok fish including smallmouth. I don't think there was much size in the fish he found but it was interesting enough that he fished it pretty regularly.

There are not great streams in Jefferson county compared to getting out in the state. Look around Louisville a county or two out there are some better candidate - Brashears (including Clear, Bullskin, and Guist creeks), Long Run, Rolling Fork, Cox Creek, Penn Run (McNeeley lake), Pond creek / Knob creek, and Salt River. The further out you look the better options you can find. Little KY River up around Bedford is loaded with smallmouth and is a wading sized creek. The biggest issue you will hit on any or all of the streams is clear access to to the water. With wading you need the landowners permission to fish their stretch of creek...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Thanks. I fished Lake Jericho yesterday and saw on the map Little Ky River and could access it from a pond. Are those creeks you mentioned easy to wade? How do they compare to Floyd’s Fork?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cal9323 View Post
    ^ Thanks. I fished Lake Jericho yesterday and saw on the map Little Ky River and could access it from a pond. Are those creeks you mentioned easy to wade? How do they compare to Floyd’s Fork?
    The problem with stream fishing is you have to have landowner permission to cross / fish on their land. Much of my experience in those creeks goes back to my kid / teen years -- which goes back a ways -- and land owner issues were not as much back then. Although one time fishing one of the named creeks I had a land owner pull a gun on me and told me to never set foot on his land again. That particular property had been abandoned for years so fishing the creek was no issue but this gentleman purchased the land and didn't want anyone fishing the creek. This is the bigger issue you have in terms of wading streams in Jefferson County as there is not much open land and folks aren't as open to others on their property. That's why Floyd's Fork in the parklands is kind of special as those areas are all public land.

Pretty much all the streams I mentioned are wadeable with a caveat. Some of the streams - Salt River comes to mind and Floyd's fork in many places -- are muddy, slow moving, high bank streams which are not as easy to wade. Rolling fork river which I have only fish a few times is a bit larger stream so better for a canoe / kayak. Brashears is a nice wading stream in Shelby Co which Bullskin and Clear creek feed. The only fishing I ever did on Clear creek was in Lake Shelby which is a small lake on that stream so not sure about wadeability but as a kid I did fish Bullskin and it was more of a high bank stream and better in a boat. Did a trip with dad where we floated down Bullskin into Brashears and it was a really good trip.

My advice is to study up and do some road trips to scout out potential spots. I had a book something to the effect of "Canoeing KY" which characterized all of the streams in the state by region, how they were to canoe, and had maps and distances between put in spots. Armed with that kind of information you could find some spots to potentially get access to the streams. This book doesn't get into fishing but you can go to KDFW web site and get some fishing info on streams. Lastly once you have some places in mind go to google maps satellite view, zoom in and scroll down a stream and see what it is like. It is amazing the info that is at our fingertips these days...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

Breshears Creek

Brashears Creek that runs through Taylorsville KY is a hidden gem if your looking for smallmouth. All kinds of easy access. One of the top smallmouth fisheries in the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch1972 View Post
    Brashears Creek that runs through Taylorsville KY is a hidden gem if your looking for smallmouth. All kinds of easy access. One of the top smallmouth fisheries in the state.
    Is it wadeable? Where is a good access point to it?