Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Due Process Clause

The “Due Process Clause” of the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution, which is applicable to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, reads, “No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law....” Under the umbrella of “due process” is both substantive and procedural due process. “Substantive Due Process” is a principle allowing courts to protect certain fundamental rights from government interference, even if procedural protections are present or the rights are not specifically mentioned elsewhere in the US Constitution.
    “Procedural Due Process” applies to individuals being deprived of life, liberty, or property, and references the procedures that are required in order to deprive a person of any of those things, and it refers to the constitutional requirement that when the federal government acts in such a way that denies a citizen of a life, liberty, or property interest, the person must be given notice, the opportunity to be heard, and a decision by a neutral decision maker.

Perhaps the most practical explanation of liberty involves the exercise of fundamental rights. Rights that are fundamental under the Constitution, include the right to free speech, which is perhaps the most recognizable fundamental right we have, and the right to vote, perhaps the second most recognizable fundamental right. Also encompassed in the definition include other fundamental rights, such as the right to free association, and the right to be free from restraints on travel.

Understanding what liberty is, however, is not enough. Although a liberty interest, such as a fundamental right, might be involved, the “due process clause” of the Fifth Amendment might not come into play until a person has been deprived of it. Thus, the next issue one must understand with relation to the “due process clause” is the meaning of that deprivation. However, it is far simpler to define what a deprivation is under the Constitution.

A deprivation of liberty essentially includes two things. First, a person is denied a freedom granted him, either in the Constitution or in some other law. Secondly, a person is deprived of his liberty when he or she loses freedom of action, where the loss is significant in nature. Under these two considerations of deprivation, it is not difficult for anyone to make an argument that a deprivation occurred. Nonetheless, the procedures required by law are not required until such a deprivation happens.

Most Americans champion liberty, but not everyone agrees what liberty means, thus we have conflicting ideas as to liberty. These conflicting ideas can lead to bitter political and social dispute. For the most part, there are five interlocking understandings of liberty. First, liberty is regarded as the protection of natural rights. Second, liberty is referred to the self-governance. Third, liberty is referred to economic individualism. Fourth, liberty is referred to social justice. And fifth, liberty is referred to moral individualism. In our history as a nation, these have shaped our history and future.

The core principles of natural rights are expressed in the opening of the Declaration of Independence. Natural rights doctrine played a major role to light the fire of American independence. Abraham Lincoln re-emphasized the natural rights doctrine; however, America’s initial toleration of slavery was an embarrassing and self-limiting aspect of natural rights liberty.

As to self-governance and economic well-being, the government’s main aim should be to get out of the way of the individual’s own shaping of his/her economic well-being. As to social justice, a person should be free to speak and believe in a way to develop his/her own unique set of talents, depended on the collective development of that person’s society. If society did not provide protections against individuals’ impoverishment by industrial contractual arrangements, individual freedom might eventually cease to exist in the legal guarantee of natural rights, thus he/she could not be made a slave. So the proper goal of society is for it to seek the most broadly equal opportunity possible for self-development.

As to moral individualism, this involves the “right-to-privacy” and the notion an individual should be allowed to do whatever he/she wishes, so long as he/she does not harm others or violate their rights. However, the problem comes when permitting certain lifestyles harms society, thus governmental laws are established to protect its people. The Constitution is a blueprint for government, and it is about the relationship of the individual and the state, thus establishing justice and bounds of official authority and individual autonomy, which is a vision of personal dignity.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know,umm,those things, umm, the thing, umm

GOD given rights that guarantees our rights. I guess the first step is to remove GOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Respect the copy/pasted post but ****. Get in the mix with your logic, we grant plenty of time to google.l

Post Thanks / Like
    What I was attempting to do is to show how important our liberties, freedoms and rights are as individuals as stated in the Constitution, especially to preserve them for future generations. Both liberals and conservatives form their ideas of liberty through the lens of their understanding. The possibilities for a collision between government activity and individual rights will increase as the power and authority of government expands. The inconsistency of liberal courts rejecting fundamental liberties will be a problem in the future, giving more power to a centralized government.

Today, we are in a conversation of new world capitalism, the new world order, made up of corporations and state to exercise global political authority. This corporate-driven globalization has brought a vast new round of global enclosures as hundreds of millions of people have been uprooted and converted into surplus humanity, which greatly influences personal freedoms and liberties as we know them in our constitution. This erodes social cohesion and fuels unrest. These are people that have little need for national loyalty, view national boundaries as obstacles that are presently vanishing, and see national governments as residues from the past whose only useful function is to facilitate the élite's global governance.

I am fully aware that a lot of the principles of the Constitution was based on Christian principles, that a number of the men who signed the Constitution preached the Word of God, and began their discussions and writings of the Constitution with prayer. My question is what will be our response as American citizens to the sobering questions such as: “The New World Order”; how will it affect “Constitutional Liberties and Freedoms”; what will “Re-structuring of Society” look like; how does present day “Chip” technology play apart in the New World Order; how does the coronavirus circumvent these processes; and lastly, how does Biblical prophecy predict such changes.
    Likes dragmerc, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    new world order and deep state are the same.
    too many idiots in this country to understand what is going on.
    they're blinded by politics, ignorance, and tds.
    and they can stick those chips up their butt, not mine.
    i'm afraid we may have to fight to keep the America we grew up in.
    i came from a dirt poor family but worked my way up to be able to buy anything i need.
    the average hillbilly can't do that now unless they're mighty lucky.
    we've been sold out to china by corrupt politicians with new world order plans.
    my kid can't get a decent paying job.
    Likes LJP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "New Colossus"
    Emma Lazarus 1883

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless; tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

"New Colossus," is penned by Jewish poet Emma Lazarus in 1883. Lazarus wrote and donated the sonnet to a fundraiser for the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, which would be dedicated along with the statue itself three years later, in 1886. "New Colossus" is now inscribed on a bronze plaque at the base of that same pedestal.