Search Fishin.com

Thread: tariff?

Post Thanks / Like

tariff?

how can i find out how much and where the tariff money is going?
    even though i buy most parts from American companies, they bought the parts from china and have to pay the tariff.
    my costs have gone up along with everyone's.
    i'm in favor of bringing manufacturing back here but it will take more than a 10% or 25% tariff to do it.
    it would have to be 200% or more.
    china parts cost 1/4 or less what they would here and no company is willing to spend money on tooling for such a small profit.
    and can you imagine all the crying if prices went up 200%?
    what is the answer?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you bought American made parts instead of slave labor made, your costs wouldn’t have gone up. Also if you bought American made parts it would build and strengthen your country instead of supporting communism. It’s really hard to argue against the effectiveness of the tariffs.

I also think the real question should be “Where is my taxes going?”. I haven’t researched it but I imagine the tariff funds go to balance the trade deficit. I would be interested in knowing what kind of price increases you are talking about that is due to tariffs. For years we have seen prices continue to escalate before the tariffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    i can't find small electronic parts such as diodes or capacitors made in USA.
    i buy most parts from mouser.com or digikey.com but they bought the parts from china.
    the tariff is intended to bring manufacturing back here but it's not working for cheap stuff.
    only way to stop it is to ban all imports from china.
    a 10% tariff will not balance trade.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We need to increase tarrifs

Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    how can i find out how much and where the tariff money is going?
    even though i buy most parts from American companies, they bought the parts from china and have to pay the tariff.
    my costs have gone up along with everyone's.
    i'm in favor of bringing manufacturing back here but it will take more than a 10% or 25% tariff to do it.
    it would have to be 200% or more.
    china parts cost 1/4 or less what they would here and no company is willing to spend money on tooling for such a small profit.
    and can you imagine all the crying if prices went up 200%?
    what is the answer?
    Increase the tarriffs on products made in China until the US manufactures that moved to China move back here. Labor costs are the reason why they all moved away to foreign soil. We expect to make much more money for our work here in the USA. They have billions of people in China willing to work for peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    they did the same thing with excise tax on fishing lure manufacturers.
    i used to make baits and paid the 10% excise tax.
    the big guys just moved their manufacturing to costa rico and since they were just importers after that, they no longer had to pay excise tax.
    you can't compete with foreign unskilled labor so i quit making baits.
    most small bait makers now just deal in cash.
    the more politicians help develop foreign countries, the more it hurts average, work a day Americans.
    big companies want to develop customers in poor foreign countries so they train workers there that will work for low pay.
    10% tariffs and excise taxes will not stop this trend.
    i don't see a solution to help our young people here get a good paying job.
    aren't we at an all time high for people being government employees? to me, that's not a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    If you bought American made parts instead of slave labor made, your costs wouldn’t have gone up.
    please explain how paying $2 for a part that i can buy in china for 25 cents would keep my costs from going up.
    i try to buy American but can't. the parts are not made here.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap labor vs high cost labor is the problem

please explain how paying $2 for a part that i can buy in china for 25 cents would keep my costs from going up.
    It nearly impossible to compete against foreign countries that have very cheap labor. We could isolated ourselves but would that really work? Let's face it, americans need more money as we have or want a higher life style and that requires more money. Everyone is searching for that big bucks job or a business that can make them billions of dollars. It's too easy to up and move a US factory to China or Mexico or some other country overseas where they will work for peanuts all day long. Try to get someone here in America to work 18 hour days for $2/day or even $2/hr. You can't hardly find anyone other than some teenagers that will work for cheap. And by cheap I mean mininum wage of $6 or $7/ hr or what ever the US min wage is these days. Heck when I was a teenager I worked for $1.25/hr as a life guard. I was thrilled when I got a union sheet metal job that paid $4.23/hr and I got 1.5x overtime. I was able to buy one of the most sought after sports car back in 1973. Back then Evansville had many factories here. They are almost all gone. The only few left are plastic factories. Whirlpool, Arkla, Evansville Veneer, Sterline Brewers, Zenith, General Mills, Kent Plastics, George Koch and Son's Plant #2 just to name a few off the top of my head. The only jobs left are retail and service jobs. Now we have ALCOA, GE or Sabic which is now owned by Saudi Arabia, And then there is Toyota which is owned by the Japanese.

I don't have an answer for this problem. But I know it's a big problem. This is not the America I grew up in as a young man.

Should we close our boarders off to all cheap foreign imports and force them to be made here in the States? Prices would surely go up if that happened. What I worry about is our national security with our weapons production depends on foreign countries like China. What if we could not product F35's or Virgina Class Submarines or Aircraft Carriers anymore because the Chinese cut off all the electronic parts that we need to make those weapons?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the job killing,crushing nafta failure never happened, you would have never felt the hit. Stop funding the government to pass stupid laws and trade deals. Problem solved. I’m not an isolationist but dang sure ain’t ignorant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Increase the tarriffs on products made in China until the US manufactures that moved to China move back here. Labor costs are the reason why they all moved away to foreign soil. We expect to make much more money for our work here in the USA. They have billions of people in China willing to work for peanuts.
    If you had said slaves I would have agreed with you for the first time. Those nikes are made by slaves