Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland Walleye

I would like to learn more about fishing for walleye. I would like to understand what to look for like shell banks or clay banks, general depths and baits. I live in Monticello and have fished for a while, but generally for crappie and some striper. I have not been fishing much in the past several years because of my work. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Walleye on Cumberland remain a mystery to me. I do not catch a lot but usually catch several every year. Need to find you someone who knows where and when to vertical jig for them cause that seems to be the most consistent bite on Cumberland. Water depth and specific locations are important for this technique and though I feel as if I have put myself in the right place at the right time I have not had much luck with it. If you are a brave man, I have caught them in the summer trolling mud banks in the middle of the day. Get right on the mudline that has been churned up by the boaters. We typically catch fish down about 20-25 feet this way. The most productive way for me however is fishing under a light at night on rocky points. If you can find a point with a good steep drop from 35 down to 45-50 then you typically will pick up a couple. They like the darkness though and won't often come into the light. Best to net/snag a shad and pitch it to the edge of your light glow weightless. Again I don't catch a lot but if I catch them it is one of these techniques. I know some guys that bottom bounce but I've spent hours doing it on Cumberland and caught nothing but channel cats and kentucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Walleye on Cumberland remain a mystery to me. I do not catch a lot but usually catch several every year. Need to find you someone who knows where and when to vertical jig for them cause that seems to be the most consistent bite on Cumberland. Water depth and specific locations are important for this technique and though I feel as if I have put myself in the right place at the right time I have not had much luck with it. If you are a brave man, I have caught them in the summer trolling mud banks in the middle of the day. Get right on the mudline that has been churned up by the boaters. We typically catch fish down about 20-25 feet this way. The most productive way for me however is fishing under a light at night on rocky points. If you can find a point with a good steep drop from 35 down to 45-50 then you typically will pick up a couple. They like the darkness though and won't often come into the light. Best to net/snag a shad and pitch it to the edge of your light glow weightless. Again I don't catch a lot but if I catch them it is one of these techniques. I know some guys that bottom bounce but I've spent hours doing it on Cumberland and caught nothing but channel cats and kentucks.
    I've fished for them on the mudline technique before, but do not remember catching any with that method. Only time I have caught Walleye at C-land was fishing cranks around flooded brush in the Spring, but I was Bass fishing at the time. Oh, and before anyone gets excited about trying that ... I did that several decades ago !! LOL !! Not to say it wouldn't still work, just don't ask me where I was fishing or what crank I was using, I just don't remember.
    A few decades ago, while Crappie fishing at Green, I did catch a limit of Walleye casting a marabou Road Runner along a pea gravel bank one Spring. But, again, I wasn't targeting them ... just lucked up on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    We catch them on jigging spoons in the summer. We typically look for large schools of shad off of main lake points or creek-mouth points. The hotter it gets, the more the walleye will school up so you can sometimes catch a limit off of a single spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    We catch them on jigging spoons in the summer. We typically look for large schools of shad off of main lake points or creek-mouth points. The hotter it gets, the more the walleye will school up so you can sometimes catch a limit off of a single spot.
    That's what I was told by a guy fishing for them. He said morning and evening on points as described above. Locate them on your graph and vertical jig a spoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    That's what I was told by a guy fishing for them. He said morning and evening on points as described above. Locate them on your graph and vertical jig a spoon.

You can also catch stripers and some big smallmouth doing it as well!
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Save yourself some time and agony and drive across street to Dale. Much better population. On C land I’ll bounce around point to point and throw an 1/8 oz jig head tipped with half a crawler with moderate success. Catch everything doing this so keeps it interesting.