Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake questions

Came up to Green River Lake last week to scout around for an upcoming event the beginning of October. Pretty lake with what seems like PLENTY of fishing options. Surprised to find only small fish on the main river which was quite clear from what I am used to, and no fish in the creeks that to me were more appealing but more stained to plain muddy. I could only assume the fish don't like the more stained water on that lake? Really struggled to find any real pattern as well. Granted it was my first time there, but man, a 4 small fish day seemed tough to me. Anyone willing to cast a few fall type patterns my way? I know I will be back up there 1 more time to look at the lower part of the lake (only had time for the upper). Pretty lake though. Appreciate any tips! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMAC View Post
    Came up to Green River Lake last week to scout around for an upcoming event the beginning of October. Pretty lake with what seems like PLENTY of fishing options. Surprised to find only small fish on the main river which was quite clear from what I am used to, and no fish in the creeks that to me were more appealing but more stained to plain muddy. I could only assume the fish don't like the more stained water on that lake? Really struggled to find any real pattern as well. Granted it was my first time there, but man, a 4 small fish day seemed tough to me. Anyone willing to cast a few fall type patterns my way? I know I will be back up there 1 more time to look at the lower part of the lake (only had time for the upper). Pretty lake though. Appreciate any tips! Thanks!
    Opinions will vary and plenty here with first hand almost daily experiences. Some of the creeks are just plain polluted more than stained.

Post Thanks / Like

Would not recognize it now

The rain last week has it currently about 6' over summer pool. They did start dropping it last night. Now if that hurricane decides to change it's direction, WOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    The main lake portion lays in Taylor and Adair county. On 9-12 and 13 we got 3-4 inches of rain in Adair county but the headwaters lay in Casey county. I don't know how much rain they got but it was substantially more rain in the headwaters than the main lake area because at one point in time Casey county was declared a state of emergency due to flooding. With that being said buy the time all that inflow hit the main lake on 9-15 the lake was up 8 ft. They are currently pulling water to lower it back down to summer pool.

As for fishing I have always found August, September and the first half of October to be tough to catch bass. In my "opinion" there is a couple of things about the big rain event we just had that might help the water. One... it dropped the water temperature a few degrees from low-mid 80's to upper 70's. The cool weather we are having will also help keep the water temperature down. Two... all the inflow along with them pulling a good amount of outflow should dissolve any thermocline that was present in the main lake.

Typically when I see improvements in the bite its when we have a cool down and the thermocline dissolves. Hopefully the rain event was a big help more than it hurt. Once the lake gets to a stable level look for bait. Its the time of year when days are getting short and they're going to go into a typical fall pattern. The lake should fish different early October verses what you saw a week ago. GRL is really a strange lake as far as numbers. In late winter and early spring its on like donkey kong but come late summer and early fall it can be as tough as any body of water around in the state.

One other thing I want to add...if you're coming for an event in early October and your not familiar with the lake be aware the lake is split buy the central/eastern time zone. If your using your cell phone or GPS for a time clock be aware of the time zone your in when your on the lake. I have seen more than one person lose $ because they launched in one time zone and fished in another time zone and return to the weigh in one hour late.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post

One other thing I want to add...if you're coming for an event in early October and your not familiar with the lake be aware the lake is split buy the central/eastern time zone. If your using your cell phone or GPS for a time clock be aware of the time zone your in when your on the lake. I have seen more than one person lose $ because they launched in one time zone and fished in another time zone and return to the weigh in one hour late.
    That is correct ... and the time zone split is around the Butler Creek area. And FWIW .. I was there Monday and water temps in the Holmes Bend area averaged 80deg. Water around Holmes Bend was a little dirty (slight brown tint), but around Corbin's Bend the water was normal color ... though I doubt it's that way now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    That is correct ... and the time zone split is around the Butler Creek area. And FWIW .. I was there Monday and water temps in the Holmes Bend area averaged 80deg. Water around Holmes Bend was a little dirty (slight brown tint), but around Corbin's Bend the water was normal color ... though I doubt it's that way now.
    Holmes Bend is the ramp I typically use the most. On Tuesday 9/15 the water level was at the point where un-loading buy myself I was going to have to back out far enough I would have got my feet wet loading/un-loading so I use the Butler Creek/Mt. Camel boat ramp. I saw 78* water at daylight and 79* around noon. The mid main lake area had good color. Still clear with maybe a light stain in areas. The bite was slow so I was off the water in about 5-6 hours but I did make some contact. I don't know if it will be "good" buy the time the OP has his event in early October but it should be on a upswing buy then barring no major rain event.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

Wanted to thank all that replied. R19 very insightful. I am hoping for a better bite next trip up. Knowing seasonal temps vary, is early October too soon for a cranking bite? Most of the research I have done seems to reflect small jigs/plastics as primary the majority of the year. Always like trying to dissect a new lake, though usually learn the most AFTER it is all over! Always wondered how the Pro's do it! I have seen those guys practice. They run and gun, many times not even making a cast! Its like they can smell the big ones or something! Looking forward to my next trip up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shad will be balled up in groups so you can bet I will have a crankbait tied on but I prefer a spinnerbait. In October I keep it pretty simple...crankbait, spinnerbait, top-water and something to pitch at random targets. I have had decent days in early October but preferer mid October to mid November for the best fall bite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t forget if you’re practicing to find your top water spot to start on. You need to get there early for that.