Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fishing lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing lessons

As my username states I'm terrified of hooks. And recently my 7yr old son came to me wanting to learn everything there is about fishing. We really don't have much family we can count on and his father can't be counted on either. So with that being said I really need to find a program in the West ky area that can teach him how to fish. Ive searched online and haven't found anything that would teach him. I'm hoping that by posting this I can find a program that can teach him. And if there isn't one then maybe some of y'all can brainstorm and possibly make one. I doubt I'm the only mother facing this problem. Any advice is welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch a few videos on pan fishing with a float would be a good place to start. Can do this with minimal gear so not a huge up front cost. If you live rural, ask a farm owner if you can take him to a Farm pond. Fish with red worms under a float and he should be able to have a good experience. Of course you are gonna have to be willing to help with putting on bait and taking off fish lol. Have no expectations and just have fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also with any beginner the first thing I do is get a pair of pliers and bend in the barbs of all the hook they will be using just in case one was to get hooked is easy to get the hook out with out a trip to the ER.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fishing isn't that complicated. I would suggest finding a local fishing supply or bait store independent owned. Most guys that own these love to fish also. They can give you basic fishing information on what to start out with. Probable less than $25.00. Most even have used fishing equipment. They are also a good hangout of fisherman who would probable be more than willing to help your son get started. Find some body of water that fisherman frequent and hang around there. A lot of older men I know can no longer use a boat and will sit on the bank and fish. They are a wealth of knowledge and most likely would be willing to help him learn. Fishing is mostly a learned experience you can't get from a book. Keep is simple. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a snap swivel and a Snell hook setup will minimize handling a hook, get a set of hemostats or needle nose pliers and the only time you'll need to handle the hook directly is to bait it. Pan fishing is a great beginner's method to learn, and a lot of fun. Richard Gene the fishing machine on youtube is a great resource as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I greatly appreciate all the advice. I know there might be a chance that I'll have to handle a hook and I definitely appreciate the advice where I will have minimal interaction with the hook. I do hope that I can hopefully find a way that won't require me to have to learn and then teach my son how to fish. I hope that there is a program somewhere that I won't have to be involved in the....well basically the whole process. And if there isn't one in our area (West ky)please please help me start one or maybe a mentor/big bro type of program. I can't be the only mother that has a child that would greatly benefit from a program like that! Again all of yalls advice is welcomed and very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrifiedofhooks View Post
    I greatly appreciate all the advice. I know there might be a chance that I'll have to handle a hook and I definitely appreciate the advice where I will have minimal interaction with the hook. I do hope that I can hopefully find a way that won't require me to have to learn and then teach my son how to fish. I hope that there is a program somewhere that I won't have to be involved in the....well basically the whole process. And if there isn't one in our area (West ky)please please help me start one or maybe a mentor/big bro type of program. I can't be the only mother that has a child that would greatly benefit from a program like that! Again all of yalls advice is welcomed and very much appreciated!
    private message me a shipping address, Id love to have amazon send him his first zebco 33 rod and reel
    Likes riverrat12, Elkins45, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrifiedofhooks View Post
    Cub scouts? 4-H? Find out who the conservation officer is for your district and contact them. If anyone knows he/she would.