Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

cold front on crappie

how will the cold front tonight affect crappie fishing tomorrow ? Thanks in advance for any inf

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at the weather forecast and what I saw for Tuesday is only only suppose to be 7 degrees cooler than Monday. There is suppose to be a storm blow thru around dark Monday night but looking at the radar it looks weak as I type this. In my opinion I don't think it will be enough to make a difference.

Looking ahead into the latter part of the week its suppose to be 15 degrees colder Friday than it is Thursday so that is enough for me to call it a strong front. Friday night is getting down to mid/upper upper 30's...First let me clarify I don't know how crappie react to weather because I never crappie fish. As for bass it should have minimal effect on them and actually might help more than hurt...now with that being said I am talking mid October. If it were spring I would not have the same opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene when does the draw down start on green and when does it usually hit winter pool? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Hey Gene when does the draw down start on green and when does it usually hit winter pool? Thanks!
    According to the COE .... drawdown starts Nov 1st and hits Winter Pool Dec 1st ( https://www.lrl-wc.usace.army.mil/plots/grr.html ) .... but of course that's all weather dependent, as is very obvious on the chart in the link.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Last Fall on Green

Drawdown began in March 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    Drawdown began in March 2020.
    LOL yes I forgot about the spillway work and the almost 30' over summer pool all winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    As someone already mentioned in the fall of 2019 there was no draw down due to maintenance work on the spillway area. "Tentatively" its November 15 but its often a few days late but generally it starts somewhere in the week before Thanksgiving. I will provide a link so you can see the past history. The link shows the last three years data but you can select it to show the last six years data. Select the chart so it does not show 2019 and only look at five of the last six years for an accurate model...

http://greenriver.uslakes.info/Level.asp

As you can see its "around" November 15 or a few days after the 15th. They always start slow for a couple of days then they pull the plug and drop it fast. If the inflow is minimal they can pull 7 ft (675 to 668) in a two week period. If you throw out last year you will notice five of the last six years it was winter pool buy December 9.
    Likes Wormin liked this post