Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Falls of the Ohio questions

Hi guys. New to the forum. Haven't fished much in years and trying to get back into it. Hoping to get some knowledge about the Falls of the Ohio and the hydros. 1. In low water like we have now, can you kayak/canoe over to where the main flow is and get out on the beds on the KY side? I have seen people wading over there, but that seems dangerous if you don't know the area. Is the fishing any good downstream where the big horseshow and bend are, or is all of the action up in the rapids? 2. Pretty much the same question regarding the hydros. Can you kayak over to the island on the left and fish from shore? Or is there a way to get down there without a boat? I am hoping to really learn the area and start catching some fish. Mainly looking for stripers/hybrids, but like to catch everything. Thanks for any information you can give. Anyone wants to show me around sometime, let me know.

Matt Hagan

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    does the flow ever change in the falls area?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	20232

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post

Yes constantly, you can keep track of the river levels by calling 775-5056. Right now the upper dam where the gentlemen are fishing in the video wormin put up,they are running 1 foot so you wouldn’t have a problem. They are running 9 feet at the lower dam so I would stay away from it in a canoe. Very dangerous area between river flow and as mentioned slippery rocks, got the scars to prove it lol. Good luck and be safe. Chuck
    Likes mattheha5961 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post

Hey Chuck is that the duck pond upper left corner. Looks deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Hey Chuck is that the duck pond upper left corner. Looks deep.
    Yes sir that’s the Duck pond, little whiskey chute runs into it . Coming up the left side the peninsula is called wave rock, up a little further creek area is big whiskey chute . They both got there names during prohibition, lots of stills were ran in the area and when the popo showed up they dumped the whiskey there, hence there names. Lot of nucs and crannies from there until the last gate that has a little hole that holds shad a lot of times at low levels. On the top right is a rock shoal with a sunk truck right at the top. If you want to get to the only opening of the duck pond at low water levels you cut straight across(south) also the only way to the upper dam. On up the right side you have a large rock formation and then Colgate ditch. Then the mud bank to crappie rock. Were I caught my pb flat. I call it Chucks rock lol. From there is another big rock formation and then the cut. It is the first shoal area below the first gate. Good sauger fishing there. Just a quick overview of my favorite area. I’ve met about every rock down there and plan on meetin them again if the lords willing. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Yes sir that’s the Duck pond, little whiskey chute runs into it . Coming up the left side the peninsula is called wave rock, up a little further creek area is big whiskey chute . They both got there names during prohibition, lots of stills were ran in the area and when the popo showed up they dumped the whiskey there, hence there names. Lot of nucs and crannies from there until the last gate that has a little hole that holds shad a lot of times at low levels. On the top right is a rock shoal with a sunk truck right at the top. If you want to get to the only opening of the duck pond at low water levels you cut straight across(south) also the only way to the upper dam. On up the right side you have a large rock formation and then Colgate ditch. Then the mud bank to crappie rock. Were I caught my pb flat. I call it Chucks rock lol. From there is another big rock formation and then the cut. It is the first shoal area below the first gate. Good sauger fishing there. Just a quick overview of my favorite area. I’ve met about every rock down there and plan on meetin them again if the lords willing. Chuck
    Thanks for all the details I enjoyed reading it.
    Likes mattheha5961, riverrat12, daveschaad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    yes constantly, you can keep track of the river levels by calling 775-5056. Right now the upper dam where the gentlemen are fishing in the video wormin put up,they are running 1 foot so you wouldn’t have a problem. They are running 9 feet at the lower dam so i would stay away from it in a canoe. Very dangerous area between river flow and as mentioned slippery rocks, got the scars to prove it lol. Good luck and be safe. Chuck

chuck is the man !! If you go wear your life jacket someone drowns down there every summer
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    In this video at about what water level would that be roughly. Just try to get a fill what water level is what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats looks to be about half a foot of dam on the upper. River is low in the video , but Im thinking the river would be in the 10 ft range
    Likes Wormin liked this post