Search Fishin.com

Thread: Thanksgiving

Post Thanks / Like

Thanksgiving

In August 1620, the Mayflower set sail from Southampton, England. The one hundred and twenty passengers became the founding pilgrims. Because of the weather, they arrived at Cape Cod, off the coast of Massachusetts, not the Virginia cost as intended. After devising the “Mayflower Compact”, the pilgrims set foot on Plymouth Rock. The next few months were difficult. More than half did not survive the winter, but when spring came, new life began. They made friendships with the local Indians. After reaping their first harvest in the fall of 1621, the pilgrims dedicated a day for thanking God for the bounty they were blessed. So Thanksgiving Day began with a great feast with family and friends. It is a day dedicated to giving thanks to God for the many things we often take for granted.

This coming Thanksgiving Day in America will be different. This year due to COVID, it is suggested people should not gather other than the ones in the immediate household. Visiting with large groups, traveling out of state and dining out are discouraged. I guess making a “call” or “zooming” is the next best thing one can do. For me, I have few family members living, and in the past on Thanksgiving Day, I found myself at the local fire station eating with community members who do not have family. Don’t feel sorry for me. The best foods you can eat are brought from the homes of country ladies. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about. So I will miss the food and fellowship this year, but it is just the way it is this year.

My alternative is this. I will fry some good country chicken; fix some mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and cranberry sauce. I cannot cook a turkey because I have a turkey friend that came here over a month ago, and she doesn’t seem to want to leave the farm. I sit with her each evening before dark before she goes to roost in the big oak tree next to the house. You see, I am blessed to share some time with one crazy, smart and entertaining bird, and the fried chicken is not bad either. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Bonefish

Post Thanks / Like
    last year my wife and I hosted Christmas dinner for some local single mothers who for whatever reason weren't able to enjoy family.
    it was a huge success, we had small gifts for all the moms and kids.
    watching them begin to relax and become comfortable I realized it was the best gift I had ever been given.
    we were so satisfied with the evening we immediately began planning for this year's dinner.
    and as you can guess....no dinner this year because of stupid covid.
    I wish you a happy Thanksgiving.
    fried chicken and mashed potatoes sounds great, enjoy
    Likes Bonefish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah sadly it's going to be different for most this year. Tough situation all around for many but it sounds like you have a great backup plan in place and I hope others do too.

Heard something the other day that went something like this "Would you rather spend Thanksgiving at home or Christmas in the ICU?" Pretty sad but that's about where we're at with respect to this virus.

Best wishes and hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

We have to watch out for China

Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    China is taking over the world one piece of land at a time. From the South China Sea to Africa they are building military bases. And they are building newer and better nuclear attack submarines to patrol the Pacific Ocean. Their navy now has more military naval vessels than the USA. We need to stop feeding the Aligator in the back yard pond.

Rember that the USA can take over foreign-owned companies at any time we like in time of war.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    and another "thread appropriate" response from dragqueen.
    start a new thread about what Ivanka trump has been doing the last 4 years retard

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Thanksgiving

May your turkey
    Be sweet, tender and moist
    I hope Grandma checked for buckshot and wad
    And didn’t leave his snood
    If you hear a putt, a cluck
    And God forbid a gobble
    Coming from the table
    Maybe, just maybe
    He needs a little more heat to be stable
    If your turkey’s plumage remains