Search Fishin.com

Thread: Leadership

Post Thanks / Like

Leadership

If you read 1 Kings, you see King David’s charge to Solomon, his son, before his death. In 1Kings 2:1-4, David tells Solomon to keep charge of the Lord your God, that is, fulfill your obligation to walk in God’s ways, keep His statutes, and His commandments, His precepts, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, so you may succeed in everything you do, so that the Lord may fulfill His promise concerning me, saying, “If your sons are careful regarding their way of life, to walk before Me in truth with all their heart and mind and with all their soul, you shall not fail to have a descendant on the throne of Israel.”

After King David’s death, the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night; and God said, “Ask what I shall give you.” Solomon replied back to God, “Because You have shown my father great loving kindness, because he walked before You in faithfulness and righteousness, You have given him a son to sit on his throne.” Solomon then made a humble admission. Solomon said to God, “I am but a little boy in wisdom and experience; I do not know how to conduct business as a King. I am among Your people whom You have chosen, a great people. So give me an understanding mind and a hearing heart with which to judge Your people, so I may discern between good and evil.”

God replied, “Because you have asked his and have not asked for yourself a long life nor for wealth, nor for the lives of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to recognize justice, behold, I have done as you asked. I have given you a wise and discerning heart, so no one before you was your equal, nor shall anyone equal to you arise after you. I have also given you what you have not asked, both wealth and honor, so that there will not be anyone equal to you among the kings, for all your days.

Incredibly, in spite of all the insight God gave Solomon, he turned away from God and ended up doing precisely what the kings of Israel were forbidden to do. In self-indulgent ways he multiplied personal wealth, wives of other nations and sexual partners. When he could do no worse, Solomon built alters to pagan gods. Solomon shows us wisdom is only useful if it is applied. In time, God took Solomon’s kingdom out of his hands and gave it to Jeroboam.

I personally find the life of Solomon interesting because it relates to leadership. Because of King David’s love for the Lord, Solomon inherited a great opportunity to lead Israel as God intended. At first, Solomon’s heart was in the right place, but in the end, he turned from God, and things did not turn out so well for him. I feel there is a great lessen in leadership here for our time in history.

No matter who leads our nation, Republican or Democrat, we need leaders who govern with divine wisdom. At one time, we were one nation under God. In the end, God will have the last word as to the destiny of this nation. But wouldn’t be tremendous if we had leaders who fulfilled their obligation to walk in God’s ways, to do what is right in God’s sight in keeping God’s statutes and commandments; furthermore, asking for understanding to recognize and rule with justice, which includes the quality of being just, righteous and equitable. Today, we have leaders put into positions of leadership totally unqualified becoming puppets to be controlled from many directions. They are leaders who desire wealth and power while ignoring the real needs of the people. We have leaders who want to change and/or destroy our constitution. Without divine leadership this nation will continue to experience tough times.

Bonefish
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Old testament

I find it amazing the parallels between the Old Testament and today. Things that happened 3000+ years ago are happening today. Generations that have turned away from God, worshipping false idols, a nation thrown into confusion. The only thing left is for God to deliver into the hands of an enemy. Even if you don’t believe the Bible it is a great history lesson. Those who erase history will inevitably repeat it.

Good post bonefish.
    Likes LJP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to bust your bubbles

Even if you don’t believe the Bible it is a great history lesson. Those who erase history will inevitably repeat it.

Everyone have a happy Thanksgiving and I wish you all well.

We are having smoked turkey, dressing, and gravy for dinner today. Humm love me some Smoked Turkey.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe. I respect your position if you don’t and will not brow beat you over it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all fishin.com folks!
    Likes LJP liked this post