Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding Peace

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is the Bible offensive? I can’t separate the Bible from my life and my conversation since it is the very foundation of my life. I frankly don’t think I should be asked to refrain from talking about it or Jesus any more than refraining from talking about my Mom or Dad just because someone doesn’t like them. Jesus is real, and means more to me than anything—He is my life.

Anyway, I just find it odd that many people are willing to listen to anybody’s point of view, political or otherwise, but if they mention the Bible they are cancelled and labeled.

Post Thanks / Like

Bible Thumpers are offensive not the bible

Quote Originally Posted by jp_2 View Post
    Why is the Bible offensive? I can’t separate the Bible from my life and my conversation since it is the very foundation of my life. I frankly don’t think I should be asked to refrain from talking about it or Jesus any more than refraining from talking about my Mom or Dad just because someone doesn’t like them. Jesus is real, and means more to me than anything—He is my life.

Anyway, I just find it odd that many people are willing to listen to anybody’s point of view, political or otherwise, but if they mention the Bible they are canceled and labeled.
    There is nothing wrong with the bible. It's those that Bible Thump and tell others what to do that is offensive. Example Joheva Witnesses who come around knocking on doors. People in the Walmart Parking lot carry pictures of Jesus and thrust them on others trying to convert them. Missionaries that travel to other parts of the world trying to convert others who they see as unwashed and unholy.

Like I said that men who wrote the scriptures and hid them in a cave near the Holey Land were wise men with years of experience in how to live with large groups of people peacefully. They have some good lessons to live by. But they don't believe in a story where a man lived and died and then came back to life and walked on top of the water. That is beyond belief to me.

Why don't you invite Jesus to dinner and get a selfie with him if he is so real. You see that is the reason people who are not buffaloed by the Church don't want to talk about Ghosts. I don't believe in Ghosts. They are make-believe and not real. This is why it's best not to talk about religion and politics in this forum for KY fishing stories. All it does is cause problems. This is why people don't talk about religion or the bible unless they are in church or with like people. In a crowd of strangers or on the internet it's not a good thing to quote the bible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_2 View Post

Anyway, I just find it odd that many people are willing to listen to anybody’s point of view, political or otherwise, but if they mention the Bible they are cancelled and labeled.
    I was being a bit sarcastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Two topics lead to discorse and not peace IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Please move this post to the offtopic thread area. This is a fishing forum area and is supposed to be about fishing, not politics. Please keep the political type posts off the regular fishing forms bonefish. Your post is good but just in the wrong area.

The problem is that we have two very different types of media that are giving people different opinions. This makes it impossible to know the real facts unless you are there to see things for yourself. Thus the problem. With right-wing talk media and Fox opinion pieces and then the left-wing media like MSNBC and the other center media like PBS, CBS, NBC, and ABC telling different stories from different perspectives it hard to get people to talk to each other. Right now we are talking past each other.

Now since this is the KY fishing forum I expect you to post some fishing stories in here and do away with the bible quotes as poems, please.
    Talking about religion and politics usually will lead to differences in opinion and not end up being peaceful. So if we want peace we should just take the boat and fishing gear down to the lake and go fishing where we can find a spot and be by ourselves amoung nature. My church is outdoors on a big lake in a quiet cove with lots of big crappie.
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And you don't tell Us anything either TimE

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    I think it is clear. I’m not a preacher and frankly move on has already proclaimed this post as offensive. Luke 22:36 doesn’t tell
    “Us” anything.
    Take your sword and fall on it. Do Us a favor and do it quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    I think it is clear. I’m not a preacher and frankly move on has already proclaimed this post as offensive. Luke 22:36 doesn’t tell
    “Us” anything.
    It's actually one of the most debated things Jesus ever said, with many competing interpretations. Just wondered which one you were offering, or one of your own, because you quoted it to counter some pretty clear Biblical principles Bonefish posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Jesus illiterate?

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    It's actually one of the most debated things Jesus ever said, with many competing interpretations. Just wondered which one you were offering, or one of your own, because you quoted it to counter some pretty clear Biblical principles Bonefish posted.
    I'm wondering why the disciples wrote the scriptures so many years after Jesus died? And why didn't Jesus write down his thought for the masses to read? Did anyone ever wonder about this too? And why does Mathew, Mark, John and Luke have different versions of the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem? Makes me wonder why they all didn't write the same things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing as Jesus is the Living Word of God, He is not illiterate. In fact, the great teachers and the learned of his day marveled at his understanding and were confounded by it at every turn. They still rejected Him. But as the Bible says, ‘And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehendeth it not.’ — John 1:5
    Likes Bonefish, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The following two verses is where the rubber meets the road.

John 8:43-47, “Why don’t you understand what I say? Because you cannot listen to my Word. You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Who among you can convict Me of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe Me? The one who is from God listens to God’s Words. This is why you don’t listen, because you are not from God.”

John 18:37-38, “Your are a king then?” Pilate asked. “You say that I’m a king.” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.” “What is truth?” said Pilate.

Obviously, Pilate did not know what truth was. Jesus is a King by force of truth in a spiritual kingdom. Jesus spoke not of opinions, views, or speculations, but of infallible truths.
    Likes jp_2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Powerful message by Paul Washer that sums it all up below. Only 17 minutes, listen carefully....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSjW3cGn0w
    Likes Bonefish, GeoFisher, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'm wondering why the disciples wrote the scriptures so many years after Jesus died? And why didn't Jesus write down his thought for the masses to read? Did anyone ever wonder about this too? And why does Mathew, Mark, John and Luke have different versions of the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem? Makes me wonder why they all didn't write the same things.
    All 4 Gospels were written as the disciples were nearing what was, then, their last years. I would imagine one reason they didn't start earlier was because they were building a Church.

As for the supposed contradiction about Jesus's birth, look at it this way. You go to Cumberland to fish. On your way home, you stop at the Bread of Life Cafe in Liberty. Then you go home.

Writer 1: Moveon completed his fishing and travelled home.
    Writer 2: Moveon completed his fishing, then to the Bread of Life in Liberty.

There's no contradiction; the first writer was silent on your lunch, the second silent on your final destination.
    Last edited by jcb; 12-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.