Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tailwaters by Lexington

Its my understanding the tailwaters can still be productive during the winter. Looking for places by Lexington where I can bank fish, I'd rather not take my kayak out. The ones that I know are relatively close are Cave run and Taylorsville. Everything else is 2+ hrs away?

Post Thanks / Like
    The KY river runs pretty close to Lexington, it has several lock and dams less than an hour away, most have some bank access, its running a little high right now but when its at normal level it can be a great place to fish
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever decide to fish the dams on ky river, be very careful, very dangerous in a boat as these are low head dams and can drag you in and keep you there, be very cautious and educate yourself on low head dams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsims1972 View Post
    The KY river runs pretty close to Lexington, it has several lock and dams less than an hour away, most have some bank access, its running a little high right now but when its at normal level it can be a great place to fish
    thanks for the info. I have been to lock 7 and Ft Boonesboro. Lock 7 had decent access, but at FT boonesboro I couldn't cast far enough from the beach to reach to churning water. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrager View Post
    If you ever decide to fish the dams on ky river, be very careful, very dangerous in a boat as these are low head dams and can drag you in and keep you there, be very cautious and educate yourself on low head dams.
    Thanks. I was looking for info on bank fishing. I have been under FT. Boonsboro, but I do not get super close. That is not a true lowhead dam though, but it still has pulled me in before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    thanks for the info. I have been to lock 7 and Ft Boonesboro. Lock 7 had decent access, but at FT boonesboro I couldn't cast far enough from the beach to reach to churning water. Any other suggestions?
    At lock and dam #7, when the water comes down, try to fish the calmer water in front of the lock with a 1/4oz jig tipped with a minnow, should be able to catch sauger and an occasional walleye from now to the end of spring, keep bouncing your jig on the bottom, you will lose a few jigs but if your not bumping the bottom you won't catch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    At lock and dam #7, when the water comes down, try to fish the calmer water in front of the lock with a 1/4oz jig tipped with a minnow, should be able to catch sauger and an occasional walleye from now to the end of spring, keep bouncing your jig on the bottom, you will lose a few jigs but if your not bumping the bottom you won't catch them.
    good deal, thanks for the tip! Any place in that area that has minnows? Only place I know is Rocky Top Shell Station, that's about 25 mins from the lock though. edit: locks like B&B in Nicholasville might have them, and that's pretty much on the way

Do you fish on the wall in the actual lock itself, or right after the lock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fish after the lock, just keep it in the calmer water, sometimes they're close to the current seam where the faster water meets the slower water, you'll just have to cast around a little, they're not in the same place everytime, it changes according to water flow and temp, before I tried it I would let the water come down a little more, its been too high to fish for a while and it may be a while before it gets to the right level. It may be possible to catch them now but I've always done the best when the river wasn't running so fast.

Watch these guys fishing at lock and dam #4 in downtown Frankfort, it will give you some idea, but I wouldn't fish there, I would stay upstream of pool 4, thats where the big fish kill was last year, this video was before that happened

https://youtu.be/JTBVIOpJVbg

Heres a link to where you can check the river level

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/glan...riverid=204089

Post Thanks / Like
    Fish after the lock, just keep it in the calmer water, sometimes they're close to the current seam where the faster water meets the slower water, you'll just have to cast around a little, they're not in the same place everytime, it changes according to water flow and temp, before I tried it I would let the water come down a little more, its been too high to fish for a while and it may be a while before it gets to the right level. It may be possible to catch them now but I've always done the best when the river wasn't running so fast.

Watch these guys fishing at lock and dam #4 in downtown Frankfort, it will give you some idea, but I wouldn't fish there, I would stay upstream of pool 4, thats where the big fish kill was last year, this video was before that happened

https://youtu.be/JTBVIOpJVbg

Heres a link to where you can check the river level

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/glan...riverid=204089
    awesome! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another video where they're at lock and dam #7 but they're fishing from a boat. If you'll notice they never get too far from the bank and they never get in the swift water

https://youtu.be/RmbP-TwYRhI

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another video where they're at lock and dam #7 but they're fishing from a boat. If you'll notice they never get too far from the bank and they never get in the swift water

https://youtu.be/RmbP-TwYRhI
    look at that! I feel like I might actually have a chance to catch my first saugeye or walleye. Its been on my bucket list for years now. thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    i fished this for about 3 hrs yesterday, a couple things I ran into:

1/4oz jig head is HUGE for a minnow. it looked ridiculous on it, so I added a 2.5in twist tail, and tipped the hook with the minnow. similar to what I do crappie fishing. no idea if that was a good idea or not.

1/4oz wasn't quite heavy enough to get to the bottom except right by the shore where the current wasn't to strong and it was maybe 5ft deep. i'm probably going to step it up in weight next time

i caught the bottom alot.

I'll be back.

Discharge was right at 6,500cfs - 7,000cfs, gage height was roughly 11.75ft. i'm hoping we don't get to much rain and it drops more.