Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River courtesy

What is the best way to pass fellow boaters on the Cumberland River? #1. Slow down to idle speed and make no wake going past them. # 2. Speed on pass them so you can to get out of their way. #3. Slow down but continue making a wake

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally if I have to pass someone close on any body of water (by close I知 talking anything inside 50 yards or so) I drop to an idle, especially in creek arms or narrow areas like rivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Personally if I have to pass someone close on any body of water (by close I知 talking anything inside 50 yards or so) I drop to an idle, especially in creek arms or narrow areas like rivers.
    yea, on idle...........or FULL PLANE.

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Courtesy

Think....What would I want when someones passing me while Im casting or drifting?

Always shut it down to no wake speed and watch what your wake does to the boats youre passing. It really doesnt add that much time to your trip back upriver.

Thanks
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmann View Post
    Think....What would I want when someones passing me while Im casting or drifting?

Always shut it down to no wake speed and watch what your wake does to the boats youre passing. It really doesnt add that much time to your trip back upriver.

Thanks
    The problem with shutting it down is that some folks shut it down, and then "idle" at 10mph, throwing a WAKE BOAT wake.......

I'd prefer someone run on plane past me versus that crap.

SO, if you're gonna shut it down, shut IT DOWN, take the 2 minutes to pass my ass and the fire it back up.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have zero experience on the Cumberland river in a boat but I am familiar with some of the area from bank fishing 35 years ago. I will give my answer based on fishing a reservoir or creeks in a reservoir...there is too many variables to give a specific answer. I base my decision on how close the other boat is too the bank when I am passing them, what type boat they are in and how close I will be to them when I pass.

Example...up in a creek if a 14 ft jon boat is within 20 ft of the bank and I need to pass within 125 ft of their boat I will bring it down to idle speed. Now if the same scenario had a pontoon or a 20 ft bass boat I will trim up the bow as high as I can increase my rpm's as high as I can and go buy as fast as I can as long as its safe to run the area. Reason being my boat has a pad and its capable of getting up on the top layer of water. Giving it full positive trim and max rpm actually makes a smaller wake than if I were to cruse buy at 4000rpm. That 12 ft jon boat is going to get rocked pretty good if I do that but that pontoon or 21 ft bass boat will rock very little. Heck the pontoon probably will not even notice I ran buy. Hence the reason I say there is too many variables to give a specific answer. The jon boat and pontoon were in the same scenario and I had two totally different answers.

Now with that being said the common courtesy thing a person can always do is idle buy. Even with that being said you still have the judgment call of what distance is close enough to run and what distance should I idle. The worst thing to do is bring back your rpms to the point your boat sits lower in the water. I have seen people slow down thinking they are doing you a favor but in reality they are generating a bigger wake. If your going to slow down then slow all the way down to idle or let her rip...now when I say let her rip that only applies to boats that are capable of getting up on pad. A deep V, pontoon, deck boat, run a bout or any boat that is not capable of generating a small wake when running wide open throttle should go to idle speed. Again just several more examples of how there is no set answer because there is so many variables.

Now I will throw out a curve ball...there is times when I want someone to buzz an area to stir up the water. The overwhelming majority of the time I had rather someone not buzz an area I am fishing but I have seen times when stirring up the water made the baitfish active and stirred up the crayfish. People are not mind readers so they don't know if I actually want or do not want them to buzz the area. Now this does not happen often but I have seen when buzzing an area stirs up the baitfish or crayfish and in return this fires up the predator fish. There is times when this works but more times than not it has no effect or shuts it off. Heck I have seen boats coming in the distance and wished they would buzz the area and they would start to slow down once they got close. I will throw my arm in the air and wave them though. Some get what I am doing and keep it on plane and move on through. Some have no idea and think I am waving to get them to stop. I have actually had a couple to apologize saying they were sorry for not stopping sooner. I just laugh and tell them I was trying to get them to run the area and not shut down. Sometimes they understand and sometimes they look at me like I am crazy.

In the end going to idle is the most consistent way to be courteous. What makes it hard is the judgment call of what's too close and what's far enough away to run. This is where I base my decision on how close to the bank is the other boat when I pass them, what type and size boat are they in and how close will I actually be to them when I pass....too many variables to give a specific answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...on a river like the Cumberland, where there isn't much distance between your boat and those you are passing, idle down in advance, pass with as much room as possible and then fire back up on plane. Bigger waters, stay on plane but give plenty of distance IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not like the river's narrow overall except in the extreme upper part, but in some stretches it is so i'm just going to try to use better judgement. Now i'm talking about the north fork above the lake too & not down towards Burkesville.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Trout View Post

What is the best way to pass fellow boaters on the Cumberland River? #1. Slow down to idle speed and make no wake going past them. # 2. Speed on pass them so you can to get out of their way. #3. Slow down but continue making a wake
    #1 I mean really how long does that take.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are on plane I wave them on, less wake and time in the area I'm fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    If they are on plane I wave them on, less wake and time in the area I'm fishing.
    I bring this issue up to see if there is a consensus. I have tried all three approaches in the past and have gotten nice acknowledgments at times and other times bad jesters. I just never know what the person痴 preference is that I知 passing. I have even been the recipient of lectures on fishing etiquette in spite of my best efforts. I am very conscious in terms of these issues. It kind of hurt my feelings. I wish we had written etiquette rules so that we always know what to do. Maybe all fisherman should have a big #1, #2,or #3 sign that they could hold up so that the person passing them would what to do. Even when I am doing #1, the most polite option, I encountered fishermen that just want me to get the hell past them and indicate this in not such a nice way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Trout View Post
    I bring this issue up to see if there is a consensus. I have tried all three approaches in the past and have gotten nice acknowledgments at times and other times bad jesters. I just never know what the person痴 preference is that I知 passing. I have even been the recipient of lectures on fishing etiquette in spite of my best efforts. I am very conscious in terms of these issues. It kind of hurt my feelings. I wish we had written etiquette rules so that we always know what to do. Maybe all fisherman should have a big #1, #2,or #3 sign that they could hold up so that the person passing them would what to do. Even when I am doing #1, the most polite option, I encountered fishermen that just want me to get the hell past them and indicate this in not such a nice way.
    If you're coming off plane before you ever get to them them & trying to be nice which seems like you definitely are by idling past them & they're acting like an ass about it piss on them. You can't suit some no matter how hard you try especially with them owning the water and all & you not having a right to be there. lol Just use your better judgement & roll on.