Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation What are the main lures for a baitcaster?

I live in New York NY, and just purchased a 6'6 medium action bait cast rod, Johnny Morris carbonite 2.0, with matching reel, 7.5:1 gear ratio., lined with 30lb spiderwire invisalign braid. Primarily fishing in ponds and small/medium size lakes.

I've always used a spin caster, but really want to learn the baitcast and make sure I'm using it for the right lures/rigs.

Any advice is hugely appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Anyone have no ideas about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lure weight being cast is crucial. Too light and the line won't get pulled off the reel plus setting the brake may not be possible for long range casts, therefore the brake setting is all important. I'm assuming you know how to set the brake, so when it comes to which lures to use with a bc reel, lure weight determines how tight the brake is set along with how far you want the lure to go.

(BTW: gear ratio only pertains to how much line is taken in per handle revolution - not line cast)

If I'm casting a 1/4 oz skirted jig and trailer, the brake will be different for a 3/4 oz lure.
    Wind is important. Casting into the wind without a good brake setting guarantees a bird nest because the lure stops in mid air but the spool continues to rotate causing line overrun.

Casting with or across the wind is less problematic though a proper brake setting insures the lure doesn't go further than desired.

What lure types do fine with baitcast reels? Again each bc reel has a specific range of lure weights that can be cast - not too light/ not too heavy.

crankbaits (not the small ones or balsa cranks); swimbaits
    spinnerbaits and skirted jigs/trailers 1/4 oz or heavier with with no trailer
    top water plugs (Zara Spook, hook weighted frogs, 3/8 oz poppers)
    soft plastics of all types (5" or larger Senkos, plastic worms with enough weight, creature baits, Houdini Shad)

Different weights for different rigs and lures determine brake settings. Brakes vary between companies and reel quality. So it's not that any particular lure or lure type should be used with a bait cast reel, but everything else mentioned above.

(BTW, I use spincast and spinning reels far more than my baitcasters.)