Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pandora

Post Thanks / Like

Pandora

Was out riding and went down to the ramp to check water level and saw that they were charging a 15.00 ramp fee, how long has it been this? I put in at Bryant's last spring and it was 6.00. I guess I must be out of the loop but wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprising, since Herrington Marina started charging $20 to launch ... sometime last year, I think. Chimney Rock was still charging $10 to launch, last year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it jump to $15

Post Thanks / Like
    Which begs the question . . . can the marinas charge whatever the market will bear? $15-20 to launch would seem to be in excess of what it costs to maintain a ramp and make a fair profit. Do the marinas receive state funds? While the ramps may be ‘private’ one would expect that their access to the lake is managed just as mine is. Oversight at some level. Perhaps a letter to that authority or a petition is timely. Otherwise, what is the limit or is there even one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Not surprising, since Herrington Marina started charging $20 to launch ... sometime last year, I think. Chimney Rock was still charging $10 to launch, last year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it jump to $15
    Was back in the area today so I drove down to Chimney and they also charge 15.00, may have been charging this for awhile and I just did not know it was this high on this end of the lake but I guess it is still cheaper than the 20.00 Herrington Lake Marina charges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Was back in the area today so I drove down to Chimney and they also charge 15.00, may have been charging this for awhile and I just did not know it was this high on this end of the lake but I guess it is still cheaper than the 20.00 Herrington Lake Marina charges.
    Then they've changed their price since June 2020, which is the last time I actually launched from Chimney Rock. And if that's the case at Chimney Rock, I would expect most (if not all) other launch fees to be $15

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the frustration and am a little bummed. quite a few times a year Im on the fence between Herrington & taylorsville, and end up at Tville because its free to launch

part of me thinks the marinas like many probably struggled the last year with pandemic & are trying to create more income. I would think they are private and can charge whatever they want.

How did water look at Herrington?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacklebag23 View Post
    I understand the frustration and am a little bummed. quite a few times a year Im on the fence between Herrington & taylorsville, and end up at Tville because its free to launch

part of me thinks the marinas like many probably struggled the last year with pandemic & are trying to create more income. I would think they are private and can charge whatever they want.

I was there on the 10th and water level was 749 ... very dirty ... trashy. Water has come down about 5ft since then, but I wouldn't think it has cleared up all that much. I was at Herrington Marina & also back in Tanyard Branch.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine the pandemic has hurt them at all, only boosted them. Fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking, boating, literally any outdoor activity is through the roof right now because people can't do anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershey102 View Post
    Which begs the question . . . can the marinas charge whatever the market will bear? $15-20 to launch would seem to be in excess of what it costs to maintain a ramp and make a fair profit. Do the marinas receive state funds? While the ramps may be ‘private’ one would expect that their access to the lake is managed just as mine is. Oversight at some level. Perhaps a letter to that authority or a petition is timely. Otherwise, what is the limit or is there even one?

I beleive each marina has a Corps of Engineers Lease that specififes what they can charge to launch, but I agree enforement seems to be sporadic

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think Herrington isnt a corp lake. does that still apply?

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think Herrington isnt a corp lake. does that still apply?
    No, Herrington is owned by Ky Utilities ... and all the land around it is privately owned. Therefore, launch fees are determined by the landowners where the ramps exist, so they can set the fee rates at whatever level they want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been back on Herrington, Gwinns still at 6.00 and Bryants at 7.00. Gwinn is tough to get to the ramp with a good size boat and trailer but would be fine with a yak.