Search Fishin.com

Thread: Burnside 2-3-21

Post Thanks / Like

Burnside 2-3-21

Surface temp, about 44 on the main lake. Main lake looked like crap, Pitman was crap up to Somerset boat club, where it cleared up but got colder. Ran to Fishing creek, and the water was better. Marked some fish, but didn’t catch any. They were pretty scattered. Can anyone tell me about the power plant? Water in the river was up to 10 degrees warmer than the lake, but very muddy. I went up by the plant, they were generating, but I didn’t mark much. I’ve been told that when they are generating, the area can hold the fish. Makes good sense, but this is my second winter fishing Cumberland and so far I haven’t had any luck there. If anyone has much striper experience with the lower river, please help. Thanks L.L.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it is as reliable these days because they don't generate as often as the did in past years. Most of the power is purchased now then marked up for the consumers. In the past though guys used to get permission to walk in there and would catch them from the bank. Shad was always in there when the water was cold. Could get bait easily and the fish were always there. Past several years it hasn't been that way because the generation is inconsistent. A fun one to try in the summer months though is the dam way up river at Laurel River where it joins the Cumberland River. During the hottest months, they will release that cold water from Laurel Lake, and the stripers go crazy for a brief period while they are releasing water. It can be fun as heck up there!!! Typically catch a lot of shorts and barely keepers but have limited on good ones a couple times.