Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington Hybrid, any help?

I caught my first hybrid at Herrington and I really love the fight of them and white bass. Problem is I find them one weekend, then never again until following spring. Any tips on finding either species reliably at Herrington? I would also target them @ taylorsville if I could find the dang things. I also read Grayson has a good population of them also. In a pedal kayak FYI so that limits my movement to a couple miles a day

Post Thanks / Like
    check your messages

Post Thanks / Like
    The elusive hybrid...they are always that way. You just have to enjoy the few times you get into them, because they will have moved on the next minute.
    Likes fishincreek, robertdilbert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just go down near the dam. They are always in the cove by the electric plant. At night, especially in the fall, go around the docks with lights on. They love to come after the bait fish. I used to have a blast with some friends when I was younger. We caught more than our fair share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymb View Post
    Just go down near the dam. They are always in the cove by the electric plant. At night, especially in the fall, go around the docks with lights on. They love to come after the bait fish. I used to have a blast with some friends when I was younger. We caught more than our fair share.

Will do, thanks for the tip. Do you know the closest ramp down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    Will do, thanks for the tip. Do you know the closest ramp down there?
    Probably your best bet is Chimney Rock Marina ramp as far as ease of use, parking, & price ($15 launch fee).

I've caught them out in front of private docks with halogen lights, casting blade baits at night, several years ago. Never really fished specifically for them in the daytime, but I did hear stories about a guy that did ... and he was using two rods, casting large Kastmaster spoons out over deep water. He'd cast one and let it fall, wait a bit & then cast the other and let it fall while he was reeling in the first one.

Also was told of times when they were jumping between Chimney Rock Marina & Kamp Kennedy Marina, that some of the guys of Kamp Kennedy Marina would drop "pop-eye jigs" down in the boat slips real deep & then "burn" them back up .... catching, but rarely landing some big Hybrids. Mind you, this was 3-4 decades ago ... so consider that !!

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to throw chartreuse rooster tails out like crappiepappy mentioned with spoons down in that cove. Just stay between the two points and throw one line out and let it sink a ways, then throw the other out. They don't have to be straight down before reeling. Just reel and have fun. My friend and I once caught about 60 one day, of nice eating size. We fished from about 9am until 4pm. It was a blast catching them like that. Yes, this was in the early 90s but I hear people still fish there quite frequently.