Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Skipjack on the OhioRiver - Meldahl

Well we below the dam today in hopes of catching a few skipjack. I'm fairly new at this, most of the time I use live bluegill for cats, but have seen many folks having success with frozen skipjack for big blues. According to the research I have done, when they are there you can catch them with grubs on a sabiki (spelling) rig of some sort.

Well they were jumping all over the place today, but we could not get them to hit anything, we only had two hookups the entire trip and both off at the boat.

We tried large grubs, small grubs, different colors, some with blades....nothing worked.

Is this normal or were we doing something fundamentally wrong ?

I know many of you fish the Ohio, so any advice on when/where/how to catch these guys will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

That's fishing

Sounds like you really didn't do anything wrong but some days they are easier to catch than others. Small jigs, inline spinners, and spoons all work well to catch them at times. I noticed them chasing small newly hatch fry on the lake this weekend and none would hit anything for me either but they were definitely there just wouldn't bite small spinners I was using for bluegill.
    Likes HawgHunter75 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How fast was your retrieve, they like a very fast moving bait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    How fast was your retrieve, they like a very fast moving bait.

I tried varying retrieves, from really burning it just under the water, to much slower. I was only trying grubs though, i will vary my offerings on my next outing for sure. I will definitely keep the fast retrieve in mind, thank you for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HawgHunter75 View Post
    I tried varying retrieves, from really burning it just under the water, to much slower. I was only trying grubs though, i will vary my offerings on my next outing for sure. I will definitely keep the fast retrieve in mind, thank you for the reply.
    What I do is tie 3- 1\16 oz jigs about 10 inches apart (any more your askin for a mess) and use small grubs or crappie tubes. I throw them in current breaks or in white water and right when they hit start cranking as fast as you can but not to where they come out of the water. If they are there they will bite in my experiences. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found on the Ky River if they won’t hit small white grubs I tie 2 pop eye flies on about 10” apart and that usually works. White or white and black seem to work well. Sometimes they just are hard to get to bite. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    What I do is tie 3- 1\16 oz jigs about 10 inches apart (any more your askin for a mess) and use small grubs or crappie tubes. I throw them in current breaks or in white water and right when they hit start cranking as fast as you can but not to where they come out of the water. If they are there they will bite in my experiences. Chuck
    Chuck speaks the truth , he should know if anyone folks
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post