Search Fishin.com

Thread: Been a minute

Post Thanks / Like

Been a minute

Haven't been on the site in a long time. Most won't remember me, but I see a lot of the same folks still come here. Hope everyone has been well and happy.

Fruit of the Loom in Bowling Green outsourced the entire IT function at HQ to an Indian company, Wipro in 2018. After 23 and 1/2 years there I was notified of the change, and showed the door on the same day. The good news is a lot of companies were interested in my skills, the bad news is no way I could stay in BG and keep my pay at, or close to the same level. Like many others I had to move.

I took a network support job with SAIC in Huntsville, Alabama at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center on Redstone Arsenal. Took a while to get a secret security clearance, and get used to gubment contract work. Never was a shrinking violet, but the monstrous size and scope of NASA was pretty intimidating. Most efforts are at Marshall, Kennedy, Johnson, Goddard, and Ames centers. There are others, but those are the biggies. The work is FAR more exacting than making underwear, mistakes are not tolerated, and the procedures/bureaucracy are endless.

My daughter got a full tuition ride, and is a sophomore in the University of Alabama Huntsville's Engineering program, so my wife and I are some of those 'helicopter parents' you hear about. Yes, I actually did show her boyfriend my Kimber 1911...but only for demonstration purposes.

I'm tired of working for money (even though the commute to my dining room ain't bad), and hope to visit fishin dot com more often when I quit at the end of November. I'm an Alabama native, and these dang fish won't catch themselves either, somebody's gotta do the dirty work.

Roll Tide
    Likes GeoFisher, Wormin, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I went University of Alabama at Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Haven't been on the site in a long time. Most won't remember me, but I see a lot of the same folks still come here. Hope everyone has been well and happy.

Fruit of the Loom in Bowling Green outsourced the entire IT function at HQ to an Indian company, Wipro in 2018. After 23 and 1/2 years there I was notified of the change, and showed the door on the same day. The good news is a lot of companies were interested in my skills, the bad news is no way I could stay in BG and keep my pay at, or close to the same level. Like many others I had to move.

I took a network support job with SAIC in Huntsville, Alabama at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center on Redstone Arsenal. Took a while to get a secret security clearance, and get used to gubment contract work. Never was a shrinking violet, but the monstrous size and scope of NASA was pretty intimidating. Most efforts are at Marshall, Kennedy, Johnson, Goddard, and Ames centers. There are others, but those are the biggies. The work is FAR more exacting than making underwear, mistakes are not tolerated, and the procedures/bureaucracy are endless.

My daughter got a full tuition ride, and is a sophomore in the University of Alabama Huntsville's Engineering program, so my wife and I are some of those 'helicopter parents' you hear about. Yes, I actually did show her boyfriend my Kimber 1911...but only for demonstration purposes.

I'm tired of working for money (even though the commute to my dining room ain't bad), and hope to visit fishin dot com more often when I quit at the end of November. I'm an Alabama native, and these dang fish won't catch themselves either, somebody's gotta do the dirty work.

Roll Tide
    I studied asbestos bulk sampling and analysis at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL. Sounds like you have an interesting job there. Glad that you landed on your feet. I'm sure that you are very proud of your daughter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I studied asbestos bulk sampling and analysis at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL. Sounds like you have an interesting job there. Glad that you landed on your feet. I'm sure that you are very proud of your daughter.
    Thanks for the kind words. I am very proud of my daughter, she's a great kid.
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

welcome back

Definitely been a while.