Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Striper bait for Lake Cumberland

I throw a cast net like crap and live 3 hrs. away so I prefer to just buy bait instead of chasing bait in the morning. I can normally scratch out a limit on lures but some days bait fishing is much easier. Anyway I've bought the typical large shiners in town. I found this bait shop that I had never heard of before at Camp Jabez On The Cumberland its called Ballcourt Bait Club. They mention carrying " Big Black Salty" minnows not sure what sizes they carry but I looked what a Black Salty was and it says it was developed at Anderson Minnow farm, they sell them in sizes small 2-3.5" medium 3.5" to 5" and large 5" to 7"
    Anyway has anyone ever used them at the lake with much success. And if so how hardy are they?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: black salties

I fish out of Burnside from the Island to Fishingcreek. During the summer when decent shiners are hard to get, I have fished with salties. I have caught a couple of striper on them and they are tough as nails. You can fish them for a couple of hours, put them back in the live well and fish them again later. But, I’ve always had better luck with the shiners. Keep in mind that whenever I’ve fished them, fish in my part of the lake are generally fairly scarce and scattered. I’d like to see what would happen if I pulled some through a school, so far I haven’t been able to do that.