Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    how do you know the home bound person is the one actually voting?
    i didn't say it was fair, i just don't trust people in politics to be honest.
    if they can figure out a way to validate without a doubt, then it will be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I doubt if there are more than 20 or 30 homeless people in the shelter. And no matter where one lives they should have the right to vote.

And yes they check us here. I live in one county and have been living in my mothers house to take care of her for a couple of years. I still maintain my home in the other county. And I am only registered to vote in my home county. So when I got my absentee ballot sent to my mom's house they questioned me on where I live. I had my mail forwarded to my mom's house so I didn't have to drive 20 miles to my house to pick it up all the time.
    Excellent news, and I agree every legitimately registered voter has the right to vote (once) regardless of where they live.

Why do the big inner cities always, and I mean always vote blue? Never have figured that one out. Life there hasn't changed in 50 years, maybe has gotten worse, yet they keep voting for the same politicians over and over.

Since I live in AL, our votes didn't cancel each other out...not looking good for Geo tho. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

You live in AL WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Excellent news, and I agree every legitimately registered voter has the right to vote (once) regardless of where they live.

Why do the big inner cities always, and I mean always vote blue? Never have figured that one out. Life there hasn't changed in 50 years, maybe has gotten worse, yet they keep voting for the same politicians over and over.

Since I live in AL, our votes didn't cancel each other out...not looking good for Geo tho. LOL
    I guess I thought that most of the people posting in here were from KY as they have the highest number of post on their KY site. I forget that there are many other states.

I vote Democrat because my parents voted for the democrats mainly. But being on social security I was fearful that the GOP would do away with Medicare and Social Security. I'm disabled due to heart disease and depend on Medicaid to help me pay for the many medicines I need to survive.

The Dems have always been for the little people or poor more than the GOP. Look at what the GOP did when they were in power. They cut taxes for the rich. And that is about all they do. They do protect our 2nd amendment right and want to cut government and privatized most all government services. I don't think that would help me. '

I live out in the suburbs and have a nice home with a full acre of ground. I now own to houses. I will need to sell one and move out of that house. I have so much stuff to move and with my health problems I will have to hire a mover as there is no way I can do that type of work. So not all the dems live in the inner big cities.

Remember back in the late 50's a lot of white people moved out of the inner city and the black population started to expand and the burbs were developed. Now the inner city has an increased population of blacks and poor whites. Not all people living in the city are poor though. There are still many homes with people that have money living in the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I thought that most of the people posting in here were from KY as they have the highest number of post on their KY site. I forget that there are many other states.

I vote Democrat because my parents voted for the democrats mainly. But being on social security I was fearful that the GOP would do away with Medicare and Social Security. I'm disabled due to heart disease and depend on Medicaid to help me pay for the many medicines I need to survive.

The Dems have always been for the little people or poor more than the GOP. Look at what the GOP did when they were in power. They cut taxes for the rich. And that is about all they do. They do protect our 2nd amendment right and want to cut government and privatized most all government services. I don't think that would help me. '

I live out in the suburbs and have a nice home with a full acre of ground. I now own to houses. I will need to sell one and move out of that house. I have so much stuff to move and with my health problems I will have to hire a mover as there is no way I can do that type of work. So not all the dems live in the inner big cities.

Remember back in the late 50's a lot of white people moved out of the inner city and the black population started to expand and the burbs were developed. Now the inner city has an increased population of blacks and poor whites. Not all people living in the city are poor though. There are still many homes with people that have money living in the city.
    The biggest thing you miss is the fact that NO ONE is touching Medicare and Social Security.

What you miss is that the Senior Citizen voting block is one of the largest voting blocks out there. Senior citizens are living longer than ever before, and that voting block is growing steadily.

THEY will vote for the money, especially if they are on Medicare and Social Security.

Democrats quite effectively use scare tactics to scare seniors like you into believing those evil republicans are gonna take Social Security and Medicare away. In reality, YOU JUST GOT the largest raise in Social Security ever. And guess what Biden or Trump or republican or democrats didn't do that........IT is a triggered COLA.

"
    History of Automatic Cost-Of-Living Adjustments (COLA)
    The purpose of the COLA is to ensure that the purchasing power of Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits is not eroded by inflation. It is based on the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) from the third quarter of the last year a COLA was determined to the third quarter of the current year. If there is no increase, there can be no COLA.

The CPI-W is determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the Department of Labor. By law, it is the official measure used by the Social Security Administration to calculate COLAs.

Congress enacted the COLA provision as part of the 1972 Social Security Amendments, and automatic annual COLAs began in 1975. Before that, benefits were increased only when Congress enacted special legislation.

Beginning in 1975, Social Security started automatic annual cost-of-living allowances. The change was enacted by legislation that ties COLAs to the annual increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W).
    "

Post Thanks / Like

I know about COLA.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    The biggest thing you miss is the fact that NO ONE is touching Medicare and Social Security.

What you miss is that the Senior Citizen voting block is one of the largest voting blocks out there. Senior citizens are living longer than ever before, and that voting block is growing steadily.

THEY will vote for the money, especially if they are on Medicare and Social Security.

Democrats quite effectively use scare tactics to scare seniors like you into believing those evil republicans are gonna take Social Security and Medicare away. In reality, YOU JUST GOT the largest raise in Social Security ever. And guess what Biden or Trump or republican or democrats didn't do that........IT is a triggered COLA.

"
    History of Automatic Cost-Of-Living Adjustments (COLA)
    The purpose of the COLA is to ensure that the purchasing power of Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits is not eroded by inflation. It is based on the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) from the third quarter of the last year a COLA was determined to the third quarter of the current year. If there is no increase, there can be no COLA.

The CPI-W is determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the Department of Labor. By law, it is the official measure used by the Social Security Administration to calculate COLAs.

Congress enacted the COLA provision as part of the 1972 Social Security Amendments, and automatic annual COLAs began in 1975. Before that, benefits were increased only when Congress enacted special legislation.

Beginning in 1975, Social Security started automatic annual cost-of-living allowances. The change was enacted by legislation that ties COLAs to the annual increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W).
    "
    We worked hard to earn those benefits for SSA and SSI. I get both. SSI is only 4 dollars. It used to be 5 dollars but it was cut down to 4 when I got the last SSA raise due to COLA. You can't make this stuff up.

Post Thanks / Like
    We worked hard to earn those benefits for SSA and SSI. I get both. SSI is only 4 dollars. It used to be 5 dollars but it was cut down to 4 when I got the last SSA raise due to COLA. You can't make this stuff up.

I’m retired army, disabled, on Soc Sec and “ Medi-careless” .

I still pay for my own Pepsi and bottled water......and you mean to tell me I should be getting free Cola???

Man I guess I’m screwed.......
    Likes Devils Horse, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You get VA benefits don't you

Quote Originally Posted by ZoraSpook View Post
    I’m retired army, disabled, on Soc Sec and “ Medi-careless” .

I still pay for my own Pepsi and bottled water......and you mean to tell me I should be getting free Cola???

Man I guess I’m screwed.......
    My cousin is retired Navy and now working for the Army. He retired at 58 and was bored so he now works for the Army Corp of Engineers. Salute.

You don't need Medicare as you already have another Government sponsored medical program with VA. Right? You earned those benefits btw. So did I when I worked for 40 years and now get Medicare. I'm not going to be around much longer as I know have congestive heart failure and can't really do much physical activity. My heart is giving out. I had a major heart attack back in 2009 and had to have open heart surgery. I had 4X CAB, Maze, and Mitral Value repair. I spent 37 days in the hospital due to a MRSA infection. I survived that ordeal. Last year I had a catheter sent up my left arm into my heart and they found out that two of my bypasses had failed. And this past month my heart started giving out. I'm down to 20% efficiency in my left ventricle. And I also have Stage 3b kidney failure. So you won't have me around to play with much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Social Security and Medicare are benefits we PAY for.......I'm glad we have it, as some people exclusively rely on those benefits.

I've worked on the premise that I will not get much in Social Security. In reality I will draw quite nice from it, and my wife too, as we've both worked nearly 40 years, and have paid in at a hefty rate. I will draw more than I ever paid into it, and have always said that I should be able to opt out and invest it myself.

As it is, I will rely more on my personal investments, which I have also contributed to for dang near 40 years.

Bottom line........social security and medicare will not go away, not in my lifetime at least.

And I also don't see it paying less benefit in general.

I will tell you , I will be pissed off when we HAVE to lower the benefit based on a progressive scale, because like all progressive scales our GUBMENT comes up with, I will be majorly screwed in the backside.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    My cousin is retired Navy and now working for the Army. He retired at 58 and was bored so he now works for the Army Corp of Engineers. Salute.

You don't need Medicare as you already have another Government sponsored medical program with VA. Right? You earned those benefits btw. So did I when I worked for 40 years and now get Medicare. I'm not going to be around much longer as I know have congestive heart failure and can't really do much physical activity. My heart is giving out. I had a major heart attack back in 2009 and had to have open heart surgery. I had 4X CAB, Maze, and Mitral Value repair. I spent 37 days in the hospital due to a MRSA infection. I survived that ordeal. Last year I had a catheter sent up my left arm into my heart and they found out that two of my bypasses had failed. And this past month my heart started giving out. I'm down to 20% efficiency in my left ventricle. And I also have Stage 3b kidney failure. So you won't have me around to play with much longer.
    Truely sorry for your situation. We go back and forth on this site........all the time, but I don't wish anyone ill will.

The 37 days in the hospital with MRSA that crap isn't anything to joke with. I fought about of MRSA a decade ago, and you never want it.

Later,

Geo
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lived in Bowling Green, Ky for over 23 years working at Fruit of the Loom. Love Ky, and still have many good friends there. Got laid off when Fruit outsourced IT functions to an Indian company back in 2019. Been in Huntsville, Al since, working under a contract doing network support for NASA. Old and tired of working, so tried to retire a few months ago. They created a 'special' situation for me, and I agreed to work remote 3 days a week from my dining room.

Genuinely sorry to hear about your health. Can tell you're a scrappy dude, hang in there and keep fighting. Not generally a praying kind of guy (unless I have a big un on my string that's barely hooked) but I'll make an exception here. The Medicare system is confusing to me, with convoluted and punitive rules. Typical government program, with a web site designed to spoon feed information to 1st graders instead of seniors.

Social Security is a little better, at least you can tell what you're eligible for and when.

I don't believe either party will significantly change either program, both have grown more complex and costly to taxpayers, but have not fundamentally changed. Every Presidential election cycle the Dims will say how their opponents want to cut benefits, and kill old people tho.

Personally I don't trust or like politicians of any stripe, most at the national level are lawyers who've never had a real job. They get rich while in office, and work across the aisle to get rid of any honest colleagues who get elected.

The Dims are not for the little people, they're for themselves. They're for taxation, and confiscating of wealth to pay for government redistribution programs which keep them in power. (Vote buying with other peoples' money.) Their whole tax the rich, feed the poor spiel is utter crap. The wealthy and middle class are already paying for EVERYTHING, look it up. They want a big percentage of people to stay poor and resentful, they're a built-in voter base.

Republicans are not much better, but at least they publicly advocate for smaller government and lower taxes, though few of them deliver. They also are less prone to pandering to special interest groups. You do research and peel the onion, you find most of those groups are more about money than actually helping anyone.

Both parties have a huge amount of corruption, and DC is indeed a swamp. IMO term limits are the only substantive fix, but with the foxes in charge of the hen house, that ain't likely to happen.
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We have a sort of term limit

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Lived in Bowling Green, Ky for over 23 years working at Fruit of the Loom. Love Ky, and still have many good friends there. Got laid off when Fruit outsourced IT functions to an Indian company back in 2019. Been in Huntsville, Al since, working under a contract doing network support for NASA. Old and tired of working, so tried to retire a few months ago. They created a 'special' situation for me, and I agreed to work remote 3 days a week from my dining room.

Genuinely sorry to hear about your health. Can tell you're a scrappy dude, hang in there and keep fighting. Not generally a praying kind of guy (unless I have a big un on my string that's barely hooked) but I'll make an exception here. The Medicare system is confusing to me, with convoluted and punitive rules. Typical government program, with a web site designed to spoon feed information to 1st graders instead of seniors.

Social Security is a little better, at least you can tell what you're eligible for and when.

I don't believe either party will significantly change either program, both have grown more complex and costly to taxpayers, but have not fundamentally changed. Every Presidential election cycle the Dims will say how their opponents want to cut benefits, and kill old people tho.

Personally I don't trust or like politicians of any stripe, most at the national level are lawyers who've never had a real job. They get rich while in office, and work across the aisle to get rid of any honest colleagues who get elected.

The Dims are not for the little people, they're for themselves. They're for taxation, and confiscating of wealth to pay for government redistribution programs which keep them in power. (Vote buying with other peoples' money.) Their whole tax the rich, feed the poor spiel is utter crap. The wealthy and middle class are already paying for EVERYTHING, look it up. They want a big percentage of people to stay poor and resentful, they're a built-in voter base.

Republicans are not much better, but at least they publicly advocate for smaller government and lower taxes, though few of them deliver. They also are less prone to pandering to special interest groups. You do research and peel the onion, you find most of those groups are more about money than actually helping anyone.

Both parties have a huge amount of corruption, and DC is indeed a swamp. IMO term limits are the only substantive fix, but with the foxes in charge of the hen house, that ain't likely to happen.
    All we have to do is vote them out. That is the term limit I am talking about. Thanks for the kind words.