Search Fishin.com

Thread: Bite

Post Thanks / Like

Bite

Got the second most crushing bite on an Alabama rig I ever had yesterday. Lake Guntersville at the mouth of Roseberry Creek. Smashed into my Flash Mob Jr like a freight train and pulled off a bunch of drag. This is on an 8 ft rod, Lews Super Duty winch, and 17lb string. Went nuts after the initial run and burnt off drag a couple more times.

Too fast to be a catfish...and even a big drum won't make second and third runs that fast...I'm thinking 10+ pound largemouth. Told my bud to come help lip this one, it's a monster. Finally got it up, and it turned out to be a big striper with 3 of the 5 hooks stuck in him. Dude absolutely mauled that A-rig. Was shaking like a hooker in church, man those things pull hard.
    Likes GeoFisher, Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Catch

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Got the second most crushing bite on an Alabama rig I ever had yesterday. Lake Guntersville at the mouth of Roseberry Creek. Smashed into my Flash Mob Jr like a freight train and pulled off a bunch of drag. This is on an 8 ft rod, Lews Super Duty winch, and 17lb string. Went nuts after the initial run and burnt off drag a couple more times.

Too fast to be a catfish...and even a big drum won't make second and third runs that fast...I'm thinking 10+ pound largemouth. Told my bud to come help lip this one, it's a monster. Finally got it up, and it turned out to be a big striper with 3 of the 5 hooks stuck in him. Dude absolutely mauled that A-rig. Was shaking like a hooker in church, man those things pull hard.
    Years ago I read the book that Buck Perry Wrote. Buck talked about the intersections of creeks and rivers. Normally my boat can't get out on the main lake at KY lake due to it's poor front end design. But one day it was dead calm and I ventured out onto the main lake. I headed for the mouth of Panther Creek. Now buck sold these spoon plug baits and my dad had bought a few of them. Dad also had a heavy duty trolling rod and lead core fishing line. So I hooked up the spoon plug to the line and started to troll across the mouth of Panther Creek in 30 ft of water right along the old River bed. I got a bit right away. It turned out to be about a 4 to 5 lb LM Black Bass. It threw the hook one it jumped the second time. This was midday IIRC. It made a Buck Perry believer out of me about the bass being out on the main lake at key creek/river junctions. I had just never tried trolling a spoon plug along the bottom in 30 ft of water. The fish are they, all you have to do is figure out how to get down to them.

Now I would have thought that the thermocline would keep the bass above about 25 ft but KY lake has a current that helps to break up the thermocline as they use the **** to generate electricity and area always letting water out of the gates. Every lake is different. And the guys at In-Fisherman will tell you this in all their books. I have several of their books. Crappie Wisdom is one. I have another about small mouth bass, And another about Largemouth bass. In all of them they talk about the distinct types of reservoirs and natural lakes. KY lake is a lowland reservoir. Patoka Lake is more of a highland type reservoirs without a current most of the time and has a thermocline that sets up in the lake.
    Likes Devils Horse liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i caught a big striper on a jerkbait.
    took me 15 minutes to land him on 20lb line.
    water was real cold so he didn't move real fast but just pulled hard.
    his tail was probably 12" wide.
    will his tail on the boat deck, he came up past my belly and i'm 6'3".
    almost couldn't get him in the boat since i was by myself.
    had to use both hands.
    i'm sure he was over 50lbs but i didn't want to fool with him since i was in a tournament.
    probably was lake record.
    i let him go but we usually cut the gills out of em since they eat all the panfish i like to eat.
    he was in 3 feet of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Years ago I read the book that Buck Perry Wrote. Buck talked about the intersections of creeks and rivers. Normally my boat can't get out on the main lake at KY lake due to it's poor front end design. But one day it was dead calm and I ventured out onto the main lake. I headed for the mouth of Panther Creek. Now buck sold these spoon plug baits and my dad had bought a few of them. Dad also had a heavy duty trolling rod and lead core fishing line. So I hooked up the spoon plug to the line and started to troll across the mouth of Panther Creek in 30 ft of water right along the old River bed. I got a bit right away. It turned out to be about a 4 to 5 lb LM Black Bass. It threw the hook one it jumped the second time. This was midday IIRC. It made a Buck Perry believer out of me about the bass being out on the main lake at key creek/river junctions. I had just never tried trolling a spoon plug along the bottom in 30 ft of water. The fish are they, all you have to do is figure out how to get down to them.

Now I would have thought that the thermocline would keep the bass above about 25 ft but KY lake has a current that helps to break up the thermocline as they use the **** to generate electricity and area always letting water out of the gates. Every lake is different. And the guys at In-Fisherman will tell you this in all their books. I have several of their books. Crappie Wisdom is one. I have another about small mouth bass, And another about Largemouth bass. In all of them they talk about the distinct types of reservoirs and natural lakes. KY lake is a lowland reservoir. Patoka Lake is more of a highland type reservoirs without a current most of the time and has a thermocline that sets up in the lake.
    I've caught largemouth deep as 30 ft on the drop outside Moss Creek on Ky. Won a club tournament by a mile out there. You're right, don't worry about the thermocline on Ky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i caught a big striper on a jerkbait.
    took me 15 minutes to land him on 20lb line.
    water was real cold so he didn't move real fast but just pulled hard.
    his tail was probably 12" wide.
    will his tail on the boat deck, he came up past my belly and i'm 6'3".
    almost couldn't get him in the boat since i was by myself.
    had to use both hands.
    i'm sure he was over 50lbs but i didn't want to fool with him since i was in a tournament.
    probably was lake record.
    i let him go but we usually cut the gills out of em since they eat all the panfish i like to eat.
    he was in 3 feet of water.
    One I caught was tiny compared to that, but he did try to pull me outta the boat. Those stripers are game.

Tail hooked a 50lb carp last year on a #7 shadrap with 10lb string, and that was a pretty fun 20 minutes. Actually got it in the boat for a picture with the help of my fishing bud. Was about long as me, and I'm 6'1". Caught a 9lb largemouth that day on an A-rig, too. We slayed the bass...was a day for the books.
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Best bite I ever got was on the Ohio River in the fog at 3:am when one of my farthest out Offshore planar board got hit and hung up on the stern of a push boat.

I knew my landing net was not up to that load so I cut it loose after a good 20 minute run.

By the way, did you know push boats will hit chicken livers? News to me, whoooda thunk it.