Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Board poll........

How many of you put a lot of stock in the Solonar Tables or Astro Tables that are found in many magazines?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Board poll........

Not a whole lot. I have noticed that stripers don't seem to bite well for me around the full moon, but that's about the only trend I've been able to identify.

bd

Post Thanks / Like

I spend alot of time on norris at night in the spring chasing walleyes and there is definately a correlation between moon phases and feeding times. They tend to feed lake wide at certain times and i believe this is triggered by Moon rises and moon sets. I assume that info is used in setting up the charts. Stripers also tend to become more active during moon rises and mooon sets. The best times for me are the three days leading up to a full mooon when the moon comes up. I only fish for them in shallow water so i am able to see them surface when they get really active. But I also believe that weather patterns affect fish more than moon phases.

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed them for over 20 years. There is some validity to them. the three day before the moon phase is a definate like Davis said.Norris is a much better lake at night when the moon is bright than when it is dark. I believe this to be true on many lakes where the water is real clear.The peak feeding times do often coincide with the lunar tables. It is stange but you will also notice the wildlife is more active at the same time.Fish2win

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had some of my best nights on Norris when the whipper-wills are calling. Its interesting how nature works isnt it. But i have done well during new moon periods too though when it is pitch black dark.

Post Thanks / Like

I just look at the calendar to see when the full moon and the new moon are. The three days leading up to the full moon seem to be better fishing. I will look to see when the major feeding periods are supposed to be during this time just to maximize my time on the water, but if like Fish2win and BD said, if you are out there in the middle of the night and it is dead quiet, you might as well go on home. I love it out at night between midnight and dawn when the whipporwills and the owls are calling. You know you are going to catch something then. (Especially when the owls get really tuned up)

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 10:38PM (EST)[/font][p]I will check them using my eTrax Vista GPS that has those built into the computer chip. I have found that when they predict good fishing that I sometimes catch fish at that time of the day. But I am usually fishing for crappie on a known spot that has produced lots of times before. They don't always predict what the fish will be doing. Weather effects the fish as much or more than the sun and moon's positions.

I feel that sunlight is the key ingredient in not only making the weather here on Earth but in where the fish will be found. Deep vs shallow. Sunny vs Cloudy. That and the water temp which again is effected by the sunlight.

Regards,

Moose1am