Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cherokee Striper Action????

I would like to take my 8 year old son over to catch some stripers using the large white doll flys in the breaking fish. We were over there about two weeks ago with no luck. Didn't see any gulls either. Anyone that has any feedback or been on the lake lately, give me an update?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Cherokee Striper Action????

For some reason ,you don't see much of the top water action with the Gulls workng over the Schools of Stripers . Last year I saw it only once or twice in Rocky Hallow and German Creek . I have fished for Stripers on Cherokee for 20+ years and there pattern has changed over the last two or three years and it just not me.Other fishermen have said the same thing .. If you don't see them in the breaks try Trolling with large Plugs,Big Mac's, Mann's+ 25 ,bucktails .or Livebait.Casting to points with bucktails or Sassey Shad's will work or jiggig Hopkin Spoons off the bottom.Hope your Boy gets a big one. I know it hooked my son on the Stripers when he was just a kid.. Yank

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I would fish from pt.13 all the way to the Boy Scout Camp.Since it's this time of the year that they start moveing up river to spawn.You may see some hybrids in the breaks or White bass .The further up river you go.. Yank

Post Thanks / Like

I have been over a couple of years in a row and have also noticed that I don't seem to see them as much on top like a few years ago. I just thought it was bad timing. About 3 or 4 years ago, we slayed'em on top where ever the birds were diving. Maybe we will get lucky and find a few on top. I was hoping you would respond due to the fact that it seems you have a lot of experience on Cherokee chasing the stripes.... Thanks Yank!!!

I'll be in the red javelin one weekend soon! Any water temp that triggers when they start? It seems the colder the better up to a point in the past... usually late November on rainy overcast days.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info, I have been promising my son a trip when he got old enough and he has learned to throw a bait caster this year like a champ even though he is only 8. I got him hooked on it last January when he caught a 15 lb'er trolling a deep diving rogue. One question.... I am pretty familiar with Cherokee but not sure where the boy scout camp is? How far up is that?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested in learing more about cherokee, id check in with the TSBA, there are several members that are like Yank and will tell you everything you need to know about finding stripers on cherokee or any other lake around. We have a meeting this monday at 6 at shoneys on Clinton hwy in knoxville. Ive got a 5 year old boy that can also throw a baitcaster and has landed several nice stripers, its a joy taking him along. My boy has even fished TSBA tourneys with me. Good luck with your search for those stripers.
    Billy

Post Thanks / Like

It is pt.29 Near the Boy Scout camp.B.Davis gave a good suggestion contact some of the Fishermen from TSBA.or go to there meetings . The Champ is Ezell Cox.But he uses old Stinken livebait ,If you do any good post it.I may go tomorrow if I do any good I'll post it.If the water temp drops the fish will start to hit The end of this month the NSBA will be fishing on Cherokee they have some excellant fishermen .and usually catch some good fish.. Yank

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch! I may wait til the middle of next week (predicting a slight chance of rain on Tuesday & Wednesday) plus it will give the water a chance to cool down a little more. I'll let ya know how I do!

Good Luck and good fishin!!

Javenlin379

Post Thanks / Like

Billy,

Thanks for the info!! I don't live near Knoxville, so I probably can't make the meeting but I did find the Tennessee Striped bass web site.

If you go, let me know how ya do!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The boy scout camp is between point 26 (3 springs hollow ) and 27 Poor Vally Creek. The best place to put in to get there quick and to save gas is the Quarryville access ramp on 11w East tword Rogersville. It's maybe 5-10 min. from Bean Station. Anybody know what the water temp. is now? Has the lake finished turning over? You may run into those big Hybrid that Yank was talking about very close to the access ramp. I've caught several in the 8-10lb class right in front of church house point! That's 200 yards from the ramp!

Post Thanks / Like

Water temp today was 61 degrees and going down.. Lake was still turning over as of last friday Nov.11..Thanks for straighting me out on the Boy Scout Camp.at my age you get a little confused --Old Yank

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Yank or excuse me... Old Yank, Do you think the Stripes are really starting to stage for spawn already?