Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

?? Outdoor Shop in Tri-Cities??

My name is Robert and I live in Kingsport. I have a very good friend who has been considering opening his own business for a long time now. He has looked into several deferent ventures trying to come up with the right idea. For the last year we have talked about doing something together and are now starting to get some local feedback before we take things to another level.

What we are considering doing is opening a large outdoors shop here in the Tri-Cities. I know that Bass Pro is now just an hour away but we both feel like this area is prime for a good outdoor shop. We want to focus on fishing and hunting and offer an above average selection. I myself have surfed the internet asking any and all bait/tackle companies from the big boys to the little spare time basement bait makers on getting the rights to sale their products and was very surprised at the response I got. We would be able to offer tackle at a local store that yes you could get online but this way you could hold it and even try it in a tank. (no fish) but you could see how it looked under water. We are a long ways away from breaking ground yet and we are trying our best to get feedback from local outdoorsmen to find out what THEY want. So here is my questions. What do you think about a larger local fish/hunting company opening up and where would be the best place to put it?
    Would they use it or would they still drive to BPS or use online ordering? What would be the most important thing for this company to offer? I would LOVE to hear any and all feedback that you can get.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: ?? Outdoor Shop in Tri-Cities??

THEORETICALLY it sounds like a great idea. REALISTICALLY you will have much competition. Kingsport already has 2 Wal-Marts that sell fishing and hunting supplies and Jon boats; there's M&M Sporting Goods that sells fishing, hunting, and archery supplies as well as ATVs; there's Green Spring Marine that sells several different brands of boats. In the outlying areas there are many Bait and Tackle Shops.

I really don't want to discourage you but you may want to take a look at something totally different.

May you prosper in whatever you do.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in knoxville, and shop pretty much at Outdoor Sports on Merchants drive. They are serious about selling quality gear for not only bass fishing, but they keep a good selection of walleye, striper, and musky gear, and i mainly target these fish. They have to compete with about 5 area walmarts and i think they hold their own. Its not always about being cheaper its keeping up to date with the latest quality gear and having good customer service. Thats why i dont care to fool with cabelas or bass pro shops too often, I would rather support local business. If i need something they are quick to get it for me. One day when i get this career thing down, i plan to open up a small bait and tackle store in west knoxville to cater to striper and muskie anglers here in knoxville because i dont enjoy driving to elizabethton to buy trout. But i always think if you're serious about an outdoor store, Id try and carry things that walmart doesnt carry and you'll get the business.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you the best of luck, we need need a good sportings store in the tri-cities.

Post Thanks / Like

i would rather shop at a local store than bass pro i really like the tank idea also there is 1 wal mart 2 little bait stores n rogersville which none of them have much to offer i beleive this would be a good place but also in kingsport bait stores dont offer much if you do open a store i will shop there and test some lures
    GOOD LUCK

Post Thanks / Like

hey man good luck on what you are trying to do. i myself would rather go into a bait and tackle shop rather than go into wal-mart or bass pro. And if someone is going fishing and they are pulling a boat who wants to leave their boat outside of wal-mart.

Post Thanks / Like

I thinks its a great idea. I wouldn't worry about walmart. They never have what you really need. M&M's will burn a hole right through your wallet and limited selection. I don't know what you call competition is around. The only one's I know of is M&M, Lanes, WalMart and Kenny's. The real competition is BassPro, but don't think that would hurt that much. Especially for the angler in need of quickly.