Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Any Stripers Hitting on Cherokee Lake, Tennessee

Anybody catching any stripers on top over at Cherokee Lake? I heard it's getting better with the cold weather....

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Any Stripers Hitting on Cherokee Lake, Tennessee

During the NSBA tournament we put in at Oak Ridge Access area and went to the left into a cove across from the 17 board. We caught a total of 20 fish in the cove. 14 pounds to 8 pounds. I did see some surface fish at times but nothing in the way of schooling fish. We caught some 9 pound to 10 and a half pound Hybrids around on the 16 board side on the last day too. There is plenty of Gizzard shad in the back of the cove too. All of our fish came on ballooons and boards. We did not get a hit on a down line.
    Good Fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

I think you mean Oak Grove.??

Post Thanks / Like

Your right...Oak Grove. We had some great fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

The fish were located about half way back into the cove and on the left hand side as you are going in. The gulls are or were working the bait in the back and out to the mid way point. Water temp was 52 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Were is the Oak Ridge Launch Ramp on Cherokee??? Never heard of it ..They caught Stripers above the 25e Bridge ,just out from Hablien Boat Dock TODAY--.The birds were going nuts and my boat is in the shop..Yank

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't been lately .To Cold --But the NSBA tourney this past week
    caught some nice fish from Pt.8 to Pt.12 mostly with livebait. Keeping Warm..Chicken YANK

Post Thanks / Like

Cold Yank, I was out omn Cherokee last Friday all day. Panther Creek was full of striper fisherman.I didnt see them catch anything. I did see a couple of small schools on the LCR. My partner also caught one on a crankbait but it was only about 6 lbs. I didnt see anyone in those boats catch anything.I talked to one guy who had not caught anything. I told him he needed to move up stream but he thought he new best.When it comes to stripers I am sure he knows more than me but then I read the Cold Yankees posts and the Yank knows. Fish2win

Post Thanks / Like

Fish2win,The Stripers have not been running the same cycle for the last couple of years . I have followed them for better then 20years.
    When Dave Bishop(TWRA)first put the Stripers in Cherokee .True some are moveing way upstream to spawn and I have seen some in the breaks above 25E bridge ( some are Hybrids )The way I understand it the Stripers that were first put in were from Santee Cooper and local Hatchers (same Line)and those fish have been caught out or died out.The new bred of Striper are from Cheasepeake Bay and local Hatchers .This is the way I heard it. How true I don't know..They just don't run the same as the old Stripers . Then I also heard that the warm (HOT)lake temperatures and very little rain had somthing to do with it.Also Stripers stay all year round in the Mossey Creek area which they did not do years ago. This year just outside the NO FISH ZONE was the best fishing I have seen in years. Cold YANK