Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

new to wintertime fishing

Hey guys, I am new to wintertime fishing. I have just purchased a bass boat after a 15 year absence from fishing. I used to fish the spring. summer, and fall all the time with good luck. I have never winter fished and was wondering what is the best way to go about it. I know this is a loade question because of all the different fishing techniques. I suppose I should be fishing pig and jigs around rip rap and maybe some diving plugs. Also hear that minnow fishing is good for crappie this time of year. Any help???????

Post Thanks / Like

RE: new to wintertime fishing

Where do you live? I can put you on some good sauger fishing close to you if you want. I'll even tell you how to catch 'em. Absolutely one of the best eatin' fish on earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I live in Pikeville. About 20 miles from Dayton boat dock. 50 miles from watts bar. Chickamauga is closer than watts bar. Tennessee river. thanks, Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest fishing the warm water discharges from the power plants. I catch Bass, Striper, Hybrids, White Bass, Walleye, Drum, heck just about everything at the warm water discharges in the winter. It can be the best fishing of the year. My only advice is to dress extremly warm. A rain suit makes an excellent wind breaker and will really keep you warm. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-05 AT 06:59PM (EST)[/font][p]thanks for the advice, DSW. I will try that 1st chance I get.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in the Knoxville area the powerplant in Kingston on Watts Bar is good as well as Bull Run powerplant on the Clinch River in the Oak Ridge area. If you are in the Nashville area, the powerplant on Old Hickory Lake in Gallatin is good. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If there is any powerplants near you with warm water discharge they are usually loaded with fish.A 1/4 jig with a curley tail usually works fine. Be safe in the cold weather while boating